Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

Won't start, although battery, lights, radio all show

Customer Question
getting electrical from batt JA: Have...
won't start, although battery, lights, radio all show getting electrical from batt
JA: Have you checked the fuse?
Customer: where is fuse?
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2012 hyundai santa fe (not the sport)
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: well, I can't disengage the key so I just started researching this issue. I had to lock the car with the key in the ignition position to start this process
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: can't shift back to park
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Hyundai
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
You can hear the starter clicking... The fact that the transmission won't allow a shift back to park hints to me that the car thinks it's engaged and therefore won't trigger ignition.
8/25/2016
Hyundai Mechanic: Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems replied 1 year ago
Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

1-if this is the first time this happened?

lets try the below reset ,in case it will reset the modules

2-but a diagnostic scan is needed to retrieve fault codes ?

3- is there red security light flashing on the dash while you trying to start ?

4- do you have one or 2 keys for it ?

5- and battery does have 12 volts, checked with voltmeter, while you trying to start with key & key is in the start position and measuring voltage at battery

Master reset Procedure

1- Disconnect Battery Cables ( Negative & Positive Cables )

2- Hold cables Together for 60 secs ,then let go

3- Wait 15 minutes

4- Make sure all doors are closed

5- Reconnect battery Cables

6- Lock & unlock the vehicles using the key from driver door side (if you have a key fob with no blade key, just lock & unlock using the key fob buttons)

7- Enter the vehicle and attempt to start

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Battery is fine, all other systems (radio, lights) can hear starter clicking
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Cant get back to Park
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
In Neutral now
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Will try master reset

if you dont think it is a electrical problem

Take the shifter trim and look inside that shifter assembly , there is an interlock switch inside, if it broke will stop shifter from moving

ok sounds good let me know

Chad

try to get me the reading on the battery when you start if possible

Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat