Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

I have purchased new trunk lid struts 2005 Hyundai XG350,

Customer Question
I have purchased new trunk...
I have purchased new trunk lid struts for my 2005 Hyundai XG350, but I cannot figure out how to remove the OEM worn out struts as I don't see any clips.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Hyundai
7/11/2016
Hyundai Mechanic: Kevin, Auto Mechanic replied 1 year ago
Kevin
Kevin, Auto Mechanic

Hi I'm Kevin can you sent me a picture of the ball end of the strut on car so I can assist

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, Kevin.....The end of the strut is situated so that a photo would be almost impossible. What I see is a hard rubber knob formed around the strut female fitting that attaches to the fixed ball. There are two 1/4" grooves on each side of the rubber knob, kind of diagonal. I have pried at the grooves with a screwdriver, but nothing happens. Except for these small grooves, the rubber knob seems to be one solid piece covering the female fitting.

I will opt out can't be sure

Hyundai Mechanic: George H., Hyundai Technician replied 1 year ago
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician

Hello, different expert here.

What is the brand and part number of your replacement struts?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, George...The replacement struts are Tuff-Support, part/model# ***** These struts were listed on at least two different websites as fitting my car. These struts have the clips on the fittings at each end. Although I can't try it yet, I'm fairly certain that these struts will fix the trunk lid. I cannot get the old struts off. The end fittings appear to be hard rubber covers over the female fitting, and I can see no clip on the knob. (I have used a flexible mirror and drop light.) Visible on both sides of the rubber knob are two short diagonal grooves. Maybe the grooves correspond to a special tool(?). Prying at the grooves with various screwdrivers did not have any effect. The old strut differs from the replacement strut which does have the clip on the fitting. IMO, the ball knob is bolted to the frame on two sides and painted in place. My guess is that this is not meant to be replaced, and the strut should, somehow, be removable from the knob.Roger

OK, those clips you see in the hole retract. The originals have those same ones. Support the lid and I use a small awl in the grooves to push the clip back and pry it off the end. Look at the new ones, they have a metal clip that runs all the way around the end.

Does that match what you are seeing?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No. I cannot see or otherwise locate any retaining clip on the knob. I agree with your advice as I believe the old struts are not unusual and should be able to be removed without difficulty. I will try again and be back if I'm still having problems.Roger

If you look in the hole you see the jaws?

There are slots on the end of the female end you could slip an awl down to wedge between the clip and the housing for the ball stud?

The awl pulls the jaws back so you can pull the arm off the stud. I pry them out and wedge a screwdriver under the metal band and rip it out then pull the arm off. The new ones sanp on with a tap from a deadblow hammer.

Would you like to see the part I am speaking of?

The struts are designed not to be easy to get off. You wouldn't want them coming off at the worst time, that is a suit waiting to happen.

Pictures always help, the paperclip icon allows you to attach them

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, George...Here is something new from my end! I have compared the OEM strut with the replacement strut, and the female end fittings DO NOT MATCH. The OEM strut has the hard rubber knob, and the replacement has the "standard" fitting, kind of a squared off (hard composition?) piece with the clip and slots for removing the clip clearly visible. I did some searching and found on eBay a set of used original struts taken from a 2005 Hyundai xg350. These used OEM struts exactly match the replacement struts I bought, BUT THEY ARE DIFFERENT FROM THE OEM STRUTS on my car. So I have some clipless struts that don't come off (yet). This is Twilight Zone stuff.Thanks for your attention, George. Please add any further comments you might have. Otherwise, I'm off to the dealer for strut replacement and, hopefully, an answer as to why my OEM struts are different.Roger

Any chance of a picture of what you have?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try. It's a hard place to see/reach. Need a little time for this.

An end on picture or the sides of the joint will do.

I will watch for your post.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, George...I have the photos and a short description, but I can't make it "take" on this form. Is there a technique I should be using? I could email it if I had an address.Roger

Sorry no email but can you see the paperclip icon at the top of the posting window?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do not see a paperclip.

Are you on a real computer or a phone?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I'm on a real computer (desktop pc). I'll try to massage the photos some and try some more to get them to send, if you think that might work. I will follow whatever advice you suggest.George, I think I'm getting a "second wind" on this effort, for as long as it lasts. I was extremely frustrated up until last night, because every step of the way...and I mean EVERY...has been an a__-kicking contest:
Bought a 50' rope to keep the trunk lid up (tied to rear view mirrors); worked inside the trunk and out for many sweaty hours on a supposedly simple task; finally made contact with you guys after a lot of net searching; needed two battery replacements to get the camera to come on; fooled around for hours under a drape of two bath towels to keep reflections off the viewer; finally used a small tripod inside the trunk, but, after all that, got the best results hand held; now can't get the photos to you (yet). My greatest accomplishment so far is that I have a new rope! 8-D This morning I feel refreshed and ready to continue the effort. Thanks for hanging with me on this. Even if the photos get to you, there's a chance you might say, "Hey, I've never seen that before". I've got some other chores to do today, but I'll keep checking back on the comp for any additional messages you might send.Hope you don't mind my venting.Roger

There should be a toolbar with a paperclip icon on it? I am sorry there is not an easy way to do this.

You could upload them to a public dropbox folder if you have that app or to a file hosting site such as mediafire. Just post the download URL here so I can go take a look at them

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Years and many computers ago I used to do url photo submissions, the kind you are suggesting. I don't believe I have the software or app to do that now, but, as a part of all the fulmination (25 cents, pls) I will set it up. I will aim it at Mediafire, or whatever works. Roger

Ok, let me know

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
OK, George, I loaded four photos (2 copies @ of 2 photos) into Dropbox. One photo looks at the strut end from inside the trunk, and the other looks down at the top of the strut end. I hit the Done button, but I have no idea how you'll get to them. I think I must have something more to do.

Can you post the share link?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
There are four. Here's the first one, and the other three if this works.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8lgjnx98idiseik/Screen%20Shot%20001.JPG?dl=0

That works but too blurry for me to make it out. Do you have the trunk propped open?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kkj1sh11ok16mfz/Screen%20Shot%20002.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/2hszu3z8ds3x5va/Screen%20Shot%20004.JPG?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ivfslxqmvgyss5h/Screen%20Shot%20005.JPG?dl=0Yes, the trunk was open (held by my new rope)! I fooled with the camera for about two hours, and what I've sent you is the best I took. (Pretty bad, I know.) I can try to take some more, maybe getting back some to get better focus, then enlarging a little to show more detail? The strut end is between the trunk lid hinge and the body panel, kind of tucked up under the edge of the open trunk deck. I hope, at least, that you can see that this is not a "standard" strut. I believe (?) there couldn't have been but one other type of strut used in the manufacture of this model Hyundai, so if it's not the standard, then it must be the "other type", regardless of the quality of the photos. But where is the information on this "other" type?Want me to try some more photos?

I can't really make them out - too blurry. On one it looks like you have slots that come out the end. What happens if you use an awl or drive a nail down each slot? Looks like an 8 penny finish would fit nicely. You want the point of the nail to run between the metal band running side to side and the inside of the ball socket.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I will try to take some better photos. And I will try the awl/nail approach you suggested. I'll be back, but have a few other things to do first.

No problem on time, I am here most of the time.

I think if you can slip something under the metal band you will pull the jaws out enough so you can remove the strut from the ball.

Once you get the strut off place the new one on the ball and smoothly strike with a dead blow hammer to clip it on.

Do the hard end first then the easy to reach end. You may have to compress the strut and get it on the ball as it is extending. A block of wood and your body weight should allow you to compress it.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Efforts today: Located the "key" on the underside of the knob. Had to use a mirror to see it, but couldn't attack it successfully working with the mirror image, and I was unable to get any force on it. I took some photos which are better, and I'll send later. Quit for the day after popping a lens from my glasses, popping the lens from a reading lamp being used to light up the dark area, and popping the waist button from my shorts when I bent over to pick up a dropped tool. To me, a "triple-pop" is a clue that I may have carried on a little too long. ;-) I think tomorrow I'm going entirely back into the trunk and work at the thing with the awl blade of a Boy Scout knife. Might not work, for several real reasons, but that's the only I can directly see the knob and properly direct sufficient force on it. If that fails, I'll think up something else.You last note lets me know that you know what I (we) are dealing with. I will send a diagram so you'll be able to tell me what needs to be pried and in which direction. I now see what may be a clip, but it's a built-in piece and sits flush or slightly below the surface of the knob. There is a very tiny tab, but it is too small and too flush with the surface for me to mess with it unless I'm inside the trunk.I'll get the photos and diagram to you for your review before I do anything else.

OK, I will be here

Is the base of the ball stud bolted to the body of the vehicle? Might be easier to remove the bolts if it is so you can pull the whole thing out to work on it?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi, George H.....I took a break, handled some other things, and put two sweaty hours attacking the strut end. I used every tool that might get a result, but nothing loosened or moved in any way, and I may have bent the metal a little. And that's it! I quit and will have the Hyundai dealer do the repair.Yesterday I got an email asking for a rating of my experience with JustAnswer. I was irritated (because we weren't through), and I gave a zero rating, only to find out afterwards that you don't get any money if a zero rating is given. I got another email with a long explanation and a couple of links to check. I wrote them directly at Customer Service and told them you gave excellent service and advice, but I have the feeling that I inadvertently and mistakenly damaged your reputation and kept a few bucks from you. Is there a way you can help me get the right info to JustAnswer? I'd like to make this right, if possible. Thanks.

The rating system is not very clear, I don't see any rating at all so we are good.

It is strange that you are not able to get these off, if I had a better view I am sure I could help but you don't need a dealer just a certified independent shop. You don't want a chain shop and the dealer is expensive. Any independent shop should be able to make short work of these.

Let me know if I can help

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
34;It is strange..." ? Way to boost my destroyed confidence, George H. Kick cripples now and then? jk
Thanks for the advice re the independent mechanic. I have one in mind and will contact him.Please let me know if I can help with the rating thing. Thanks very much for your advice. Roger

I don't mean that comment to be directed at you it is the situation that I need a better view or perspective. It is strange I could not direct you to a solution.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Just making a joke, George. Absolutely no offense taken. In fact, I enjoyed our contacts. You never bit on my dumb witticisms, and I quickly realized that you couldn't really get jocular with a client you didn't know. Which is pretty much everybody! Best wishes. Roger
George H.
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician