Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

Several, Issues. not sure if they are related to each other

Customer Question
or not. Airbag light is...
several, Issues. not sure if they are related to each other or not. Airbag light is always on. I use to wiggle wires under passenger seat to resolve it. That no longer resolves it. About a year ago the console light showing which gear you are in would sometimes not work, along with the blower for the heater/ air conditioner. A couple months ago was in a wreck, Rt front fender Bumper damage. about a week before the wreck I backed into a pole & got Lt rear tail light & bumper damage. I replaced Replaced Rt Headlight with a new one, and a nicer looking used one on the other side too. I replaced the Rear Lt light assembly with a used one. I removed the undamaged tail light to clean it up & noticed there was some discoloration (like over heating or starting to burning) to one of the light bulb connectors. so I replaced that harness. No problems noted while driving for a few weeks. Then after driving in the rain, I noticed some strange noise when I turned off. the car. Next morning I took it to have a new windshield installed. After the installation, I started it up. I heard additional clicks before the engine started, (no hesitation in it starting though). Then in route back home, I heard something so I turned the radio off, so I could hear better, then the dashboard lights started flickering, I turned the radio back on, lights stopped flickering & noticed antenna, wasn't doing up. Then later that same night went to retrieve something from the car & no interior lights. I thought the battery was dead but it started just fine.
JA: How old is the battery? Have you checked the battery gauge on the dash?
Customer: My battery recently died after leaving the trunk open all day working on the car, then a few days later, I disconnected the battery so I could look at the airbag wiring under the seat, so I could try & get the airbag light to go off.
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2005
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well so far I have been doing all my own work, I did take it to the shop after the wreck to have them take a look & make sure it was safe to drive again.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: I bought the car used in 2009 the cruse control didn't work, but I didn't really care about that. later I noticed that it was unplugged. I reconnected it. & it worked fine. But kind of wondering if there was a reason for it to be unplugged & also there is a couple of screws missing that should secure the cruse control to the frame, under the hood. I have extra screws that I can secure that with just never thought about it till now.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Hyundai
7/11/2016
Hyundai Mechanic: peterpete190, Auto Technician replied 1 year ago
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing that needs done if this has not been done already is to have the fault codes read out/checked with a compatible scan tool that can communicate with all computers in your model.Once this is done any codes set need diagnosed.I have seen issues with damaged wiring in the area where the collision occurred that can cause this as well as a fault with a component like the electronic ignition switch needing replaced.This will need checked into further to locate which is the cause here and from there repaired to correct this fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Thanks for the response. I actually found a faulty fuse, replaced it. Now the interior lights work & the antena too. I took the car in to the dealership today for the airbag issue. They diagnosed a loose wire on a side airbag on the drivers side. Driving home tonight I noticed the console lights are now working too. Not sure why? Maybe fixing the air bag fixed the console lights too.

It may have been a short in wiring or loose connection when the dealer repaired the air bag wiring it also corrected the issues with the console lights as well.That is great to hear it has been resolved.

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.

Thanks Pete

peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician