Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

I have a 2006 Hyundai Sonata that I recently replaced a

Customer Question
Hi Pearl, I have a...
Hi Pearl, I have a 2006 Hyundai Sonata that I recently replaced a knock sensor on. After re-assembling everything from the knock sensor work the car starts and runs fine but will not shift out of the "Park" position. Verified that the brake switch signal is being picked up by the ECM via scan tool.
JA: Does the engine turn over? How old is the battery?
Customer: The car starts and runs fine, just will not shift from park. The shift lock is not releasing for some reason
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I would like to fix this myself
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Hyundai
7/9/2016
Hyundai Mechanic: Gene, Auto Service Technician replied 1 year ago
Gene
Gene, Auto Service Technician

Hello, are you getting a brake on signal at the shift interlock solenoid on the shifter when you hit the brake pedal?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Haven't pulled the center console cover yet to get to the shift interlock unit to test- I should also mention that the car appears to have a remote start that causes ECM to see brake as always "ON"

Ok, this may have caused a premature failure of the shift interlock solenoid,pop apart the console to test it at the shifter. You should be able to remove the interlock solenoid altogether so you wont have to hit the brakes to shift out of park, but this disables a safety feature. If you have power and it wont move the solenoid is bad.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Also just noticed that even after manually releasing the shift lock the "gear selection" on scan tool never changes, even when moving shift lever. Would the transaxle range switch malfunctioning possibly cause this? Will disassemble console now and test interlock solenoid and get back to you ASAP.

The PRND21 indication on the scan tool or gear number,1,2,3,4?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
On scan tool never moves from 4

Ok that has to do with what transmission gear range the ecu is commanding, this doesnt have anything to do with the shift interlock, thats is a stand alone circuit other than using the brake on off input

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Ok,I'll check solenoid now

Ok

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
PRND21 shows nothing on scan tool or in gauge cluster. Solenoid is getting brake signal and only locks the shifter into "P" as soon as it is physically moved and disengages when it is returned to the home position.

The gear range should change while driving the vehicle. You are saying the interlock is getting a signal but not moving, but you can manually move it and get the shifter out of park?

The gear indicator on the dash normally lights up but isnt working? WIll it work with the scan tool you are using disconnected

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I can only get out of park if it use the manual "Shift Lock Release" under the wee access panel on the select lever. The Gear indicator on dash does not display with the scan tool disconnected.

Verify the main shifter electrical connector is fully seated. Disconnect and reconnect it and recheck its operation. ARe you sure the cluster also had a transmission indicator being a floor shifter? Just asking because I dont see circuit information for lights for it in the diagram. There is a TSB for issues with the shifter:

• A/T - CAN'T SHIFT INTO/OUT OF 'PARK'

Group: AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE

Number: 06-40-008-1

Date: OCTOBER, 2006

Model:
2006-SONATA & AZERA,
2007-SANTA FE, ELANTRA & ENTOURAGE

Subject:
AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE SHIFT LEVER WILL NOT SHIFT OUT OF PARK

This TSB updates TSB 06-40-008 to include 2007 model vehicles.

DESCRIPTION:

If the shift lever of a 2006 Sonata, Azera or 2007 Santa Fe, Elantra or Entourage vehicle does not shift into or out of Park, please follow the repair procedure:

REPAIR PROCEDURE:

1.Attach a Hi-Scan Pro or GDS and select:

^Vehicle

^"Automatic Transaxle",

^"Current Data"

^Brake Switch"

2.Confirm the "Brake Switch" reads "ON" when the brake pedal is depressed. If not, check the brake switch clearance according to the related shop manual. If the clearance is within specification, install a known-good brake switch:

^2006 or 2007 Sonata, page BR-12

^2006 or 2007 Azera, page BR-12

^2007 Santa Fe, page BR-22

^2007 Entourage, page BR-11

^2007 Elantra, page BR-13

^Check fuses and related wiring as shown in the related E/M, page 5D452-2.

2006 - SONATA

^Refer to the 2006 or 2007 Sonata Shop Manual, page BD-52 and remove the center panel.

^Disconnect the M01 connector to the ATM key lock control module. Go to "Test Procedure".

2006 - AZERA:

^Refer to the 2006 or 2007 Azera Shop Manual, page BD-62 and remove the glove box.

^Remove the two nuts and disconnect the M76 connector to the ATM key lock control module. Go to "Test Procedure".

2007 - ENTOURAGE:

^Refer to the 2007 Entourage Shop Manual, page BD-61 and remove the floor console cover.

2007 - SANTA FE:

^Refer to the 2007 Santa Fe Shop Manual, page BD-63 and remove the center fascia panel.

^Disconnect the M02 connector to the ATM key lock control module. Go to "Test Procedure". (Refer to the 2007 Santa Fe ETM, page CL- 11, photo 61 for clarity).

2007 - ELANTRA

^Refer to the 2007 Elantra Shop Manual, page BD-51 and remove the lower panel.

^Disconnect the M12 connector to the ATM key lock control module. Go to "Test Procedure". (Refer to the 2007 Elantra ETM, page CL-7, photo 38 for clarity).

TEST PROCEDURE:

3.Turn the ignition switch to the "ON" position. Check voltage at the pins according to table. If the voltages are correct, replace the ATM key lock control module.

PARTS INFORMATION

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Honestly dont know if dash had indication prior to this, just assumed. Also brake signal at TCM is being received at all times "ON" I assume due to remote start install.

Basically if the interlock solenoid isnt working, it would need to be replaced.

If the brake switch was stuck on, the interlock would work but the stop lamps would be on all the time.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Brake lights go on and off but brake switch condition on scan tool is always "ON"

Long as the shift interlock cycles on and off as brake switch is depressed, it might just be an issue with your scan tool.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
shift interlock doesn't cycle with brakes, I feel like it is constantly unlocked until the select lever is moved.The only time in engages is if you physically try to move the shifter to the right more than 1-2mm. Then you can hear/feel it lock
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
move it back to the resting "P" position and you hear it unlock again.

The power input from the brake switch im talking about, you know the interlock isnt working, if it has constant power it will burn out

If its getting power when you depress the brake pedal and off when foot off the brake, the interlock switch has failed.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
ok ill try swapping interlock and let you know how it goes

That should do it, common failure. If you need more help let me know. If I was helpful, please leave a positive rating.

Hello, do you need more help with this concern?

Do you need more help with this concern?

Gene
Gene
Gene, Auto Service Technician