Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

I have a sqeeking noise coming from the serpentine belt

Customer Question

Hi! I have a sqeeking noise coming from the serpentine belt after start.
JA: How many miles are on the car?
Customer: 150k
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2007 Santa Fe. Are you an actual person?
JA: No. I'm the Hyundai Mechanic's Assistant.
Customer: Ok. So ould you help to identify the problem?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing. But I'll try to fix it myelf, yes.
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Actually, as the engine revs up (in neutral) the frequency of the noise increases.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** usually means the belt is worn, spray water onto belt with vehicle running to see if it stops the noise if so you know belt is the problem. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you Dan, I'll try!
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

No problem, let me know how it goes. Have a Happy 4th!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It does stop the sound for about 3sec.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Than it stars over
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

That means belt needs to be replaced. Make sure to use a quality belt, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, I will. I saw a video about it on youtube. It seemed fairly simple, however, the engine was taken out. Can you recall how easy it is to reach for the belt when the engine is inside?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Yes, put a wrench on C on diagram and turn counter clockwise to release tension. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7prb4djatvwmuwc/c.pdf?dl=0

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will, however my car will be parked for a month now at the airport. I will order the part and do the job after I get back from abroad. Any advice what the part ID is? I have a 2007 3.3L Santa Fe.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

The parts store will be able to look up part for you with year/model/engine size of vehicle and probably have different part numbers so that wouldn't help much unless you were ordering online. Let me know how it goes or if you have more questions, thanks.