sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2011 tucson steering wheel locked but not straight and key

Customer Question

2011 tucson steering wheel locked but not straight and key will not turn.
JA: Is the car in "Park" or "Neutral?" Do you know if your car has a "wheel lock" feature?
Customer: Its in park but im not sure about the wheel lock. Its my parents car
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I need it fixed and I was hoping I could do it. Ive wiggled the steering wheel pushed the brake put it in neutral and nothing works
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: The key wouldnt come out of the ignition but my husband somehow got it out. It didnt want to go back in but it finally did and now it wont turn
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if there is an issue in the lock cylinder or with the key itself rather than the steering lock being the issue. If there was an issue getting the key to come out the last time and it now will not turn then odds are the problem is with the key or in the lock cylinder.

Is there any physical damage to the key?