Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Hyundai Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Hyundai Diagnostics
18617752

Can't shift out of park, No brake lights stopped working,

Customer Question

Can't shift out of park
JA: Do you have brake lights? Have any trouble codes popped up?
Customer: No brake lights stopped working
JA: What is the model/year of your Hyundai?
Customer: 2011 sonata gls
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Changed stop lights
JA: Anything else you think the mechanic should know?
Customer: Nothing else has been done
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

When the vehicle will not shift from park AND the brake lights are not working, the problem will be the Brake Light Switch. This switch controls the rear brake lights and also sends a signal to the Shift Interlock telling it to release when the brake pedal is depressed. This is actually a known problem and there is currently and open and active Recall (#15-01-008) for this. Your local Dealer will replace the switch absolutely Free wit the new, updated version to correct the problem. If you found this answer helpful, please help me and leave a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.
Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for this Q&A.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

In the meantime, you can shift the vehicle from Park using the Shift Over-ride. It's located on the face of the shifter. Lift the protective cap and insert a flat-blade tool or a key. Shift the vehicle to Neutral. You can now start the vehicle and drive. For an image location view of the over-ride, click here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vge04wxejt5qmpv/son-shift.jpg?dl=0

If you found this answer helpful, please help me and leave a rating using the "stars" at the top of the page or click 'accept'.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..