George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

04 tiburon 2.7 replaced cam position sensor twice replaced

Customer Question

04 tiburon 2.7 replaced cam position sensor twice replaced ecmu and crank sensor all wire are fine still getting cam position sensor malfuntion
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

good morning my name is ***** ***** I will assist

what is the code number???

how many miles on the car??

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
76.000 miles p0340
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, thanks, ***** ***** get some info for you

one last question, was the pcm used or new and did you have it flashed to your car???

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it was new and yes it was flashed to my car we have checked all the wiring car runs fine but code keeps coming back
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, one thing that should be checked is the timing belt or chain. if it is slacked or not tight from wear, the timing will be retarded and it will set the code. at number 1 top dead center, the crank sensor and cam sensor must send signals to the pcm that show exact locations. if they are off, it will set this code

have you checked the marks on the gears???

clearing the code will do nothing until the problem is identified and repaired. it will then go inactive and be able to be cleared

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
timing belt was replace 3 moths ago by hyundai belts new
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

I would still verify this. if the tensioner is not working correctly, it will slack.

Roy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
car been at the shop for over 2 weeks mechanics have tried everything and have check the timing the wiring harness grounds ecu have had car on a scope and still can not understand why this code keeps coming up
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, they have the advantage of having the car and I do not

what do you mean by everything????

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the car went in with the code they said it was a bad cam sensor they replace light came back on then they said it was bad ecu got replaced light came back on same code took it back under warranty they replaced ecu again still same code check time check and replaced crank sensor check wiring harness check all grounds checked starter,battery checked cam shaft short of rebuilding the motor they have tried everything they can think of
Expert:  Roy replied 1 year ago.

ok, thanks

I still think they need to check the belt. they are missing something here.

beyond that, the only other possibility is a wire harness issue. the light returning right away indicates either an electrical issue or timing being off.

Roy