peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
Experience:  Auto repair Technician with 17 years experience.Past ASE and other certifications.
14928985

We have a 2012 sonata' , and I parked and went in to work

Customer Question

We have a 2012 sonata'
, and I parked and went in to work for 4 hours, came out, and opened the door, it was dinging, but we have power on the radio and clock is on, but the key won't go all the way into the ignition, and the fob doesn't unlock the trunk. Any ideas what is wrong ??? Help!
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

Is the key blade itself not inserting all the way into the ignition?

Did both the trunk issue with the key fob not working to open the trunk and the key going into the ignition occur at the same time?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
all happened together

Unfortunately I am unable to place a call myself on this here.

Usually when the key will not insert all the way this indicates a fault with the key cylinder itself as the tumblers can fall apart internally with the ignition cylinder needing repaired or replaced but since you cannot open the trunk with the fob as well this may be the key itself at fault.Look at the blade to see if it is worn or damaged at all and if it is then it will need replaced.If this is checked and found to be o.k. I suspect this can be the ignition cylinder (most common) causing this fault needing either removed and re keyed or removed and replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete