Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My car (2012 Hyundai Accent) has been running fine until…

Customer Question
My car (2012 Hyundai...

My car (2012 Hyundai Accent) has been running fine until tonight driving home from work when my malfunction light came on. No clue what's wrong or if I did anything.

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Hyundai. The Hyundai Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

I'm not really sure what's going on, just noticed the malfunction light came on while driving.

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

I was going to see if I can get into the Hyundai shop tomorrow

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else important you think the Hyundai Mechanic should know about your Hyundai?

No that's it

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Hyundai
5/27/2016
Hyundai Mechanic: eauto, The Car Guy replied 2 years ago
eauto
eauto, The Car Guy

do you have access to a scan tool / code reader?

No sir

The check engine light comes on when the on-board computer detects a fault in engine driveability or performance, transmission control system or transmission, or the emissions system, and a fault code is set and stored in the computer. Faults that can set the check engine light can range from a vaccuum leak, engine mis-fire, low engine compression, faulty sensor such as O2 sensor or other engine sensor, hydraulic pressure loss in transmission, transmission shift solenoid, open/short in wiring harness, emission evaporative system leak, or one of over a hundred different reasons.
The only way to know what set a fault code and turned the check engine light on is to have a diagnostic scanner hooked up to the on-board computer and read it for stored diagnostic fault codes. Many auto parts stores will do this service for free- (like auto zone)check with you local parts stores. If none in your area do, then you will have to take it to a shop and pay to have the computer read for stored fault codes.

Without knowing the fault codes numbers, it would be irresponsible to guess as to the cause as there are hundreds of possible causes

if you provide me a diagnostic code we can narrow down the cause of failure

I kinda figured that. Thanks for helping though. I'm going to go ahead and take it in tomorrow.

hope you can rate me 5 star so we can close the question out

Please remember to only rate my service when you are satisfied. IF you feel the need to rate "Poor Service" or "Bad Service", please stop and reply to me via the REPLY TO EXPERT button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek.

I am not paid unless I get a rating of 3 to 5 Stars/Smiley Faces. If I have helped you with your question, please give me an appropriate rating so that I get credit for helping you