mike switzer
mike switzer,
Experience:  lead diagnostic tech at Aamco
93239347

Out of ideas start condition following P0442 code for

Customer Question

Out of ideas for no start condition following P0442 code for 2002 Accent.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Hyundai. The Hyundai Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: The car cranks convincingly. There is spark form each spark plug wire. The battery tested as good. The tank had a dent in it and I replaces it assuming that might be a problem. Then I replaced the fuel pump. Then I replaced the fuel filter. When I turn the key, I can here the fuel pump whirl clearly. The Canister was replaced within 6 months ago. It just won't start.
JA: So many things can cause fuel pump issues. Some simple, some complicated. Fortunately, the mechanics we work with have tons of experience dealing with them. Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: All the things I just mentioned previously
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Hyundai Mechanic should know about your Hyundai?
Customer: The car cranks convincingly. There is spark form each spark plug wire. The battery tested as good. The tank had a dent in it and I replaces it assuming that might be a problem. Then I replaced the fuel pump. Then I replaced the fuel filter. When I turn the key, I can here the fuel pump whirl clearly. The Canister was replaced within 6 months ago.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Andrew Martin replied 1 year ago.
Do you have fuel pressure at the rail?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is no shrader valve connector under the hood? I do know that there is fuel from the pump through the fuel filter.
Yeah you'd need to remove the line and see if you are getting fuel. If all you did was replace the tank and pump/filter, and you have spark, I would reason to believe that it is a fuel issue.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If the pump is sending fuel through the new fuel filter, would the fuel reach the rail? I have not seen or smell any fuel leak. Isn't the fuel filter directly connected the fuel rail via a single line?
It is yes, are you sure that the fuel is getting through the filter? Also, although it is getting there it may not be getting into the rail because of the pressure regulator on the end of the rail. I'm just looking at it like, you had a running vehicle before you did anything to the fuel tank or pump. Now you don't have a running vehicle. So it is clearly a fuel issue. And probably something back near the tank
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The Fuel regular is in the Fuel Pump Assembly. There is nothing at the end of the fuel rail but bolt of some kind or something that closes that end. All the components in that area, tank, fuel pump assembly, fuel filter, fuel filler hose to tank have all being change at few days ago plus the charcoal canister a few months ago.
OK i'm going to opt out and let another expert try to help.
Expert:  mike switzer replied 1 year ago.
have you tried starting the vehicle with starting fluid? since you said it has spark it should fire right up.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Starting fluid? I've been working on cars (family and friends) for years and I've never heard of starting fluid with respect to cars. How does that work?
really basically the same as brake parts cleaner that will work as well. some people call it ether. you spray it in the intake while cranking the engine.