Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

2004 Santa Fe with only 70 000 km. As hardly been driven the

Customer Question
last 2 years. Sitting...
2004 Santa Fe with only 70 000 km. As hardly been driven the last 2 years. Sitting in the yard waiting to be driven, otherwise in excellent condition nu rust. Ive been driving it regularly since last october and everything is fine except for this jerking or misfire from stop to 20-30 km then the problem is gone. It doesn't do it all the time. Help
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix. The Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. What kind of car is it? Toyota, Honda, Ford, Chrysler, etc.
Customer: Hyundai Santa Fe 2004
JA: Got it. What model and year?
Customer: Santa Fe 2004
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: No, I brought it to the Hyundai dealer and the changed the sparkplugs and wires but the problem still persist. I have an appointment for this Tuesday morning.
JA: OK! The Mechanic will help you with the diagnostics so you are sure to get this fixed right. Is there anything else important you think the Mechanic should know about your Hyundai?
Customer: They also replaced thepcv valve. That's all.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Hyundai
4/23/2016
Hyundai Mechanic: I. Silva, Hyundai Technician replied 1 year ago
I. Silva
I. Silva, Hyundai Technician
Hello...welcome and thank you for using Justanswer. Is the check engine light ON or does it blink when the problem occurs ?Is this a 4 or 6 cylinder engine ?The ignition coils and sometimes the electric plug to it are common for what you are experiencing , intermittent misfiring/jerking.Is it worse if you take off a little harder ,like trying to pick up speed faster ? Let me know.Thank you very much.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Its a 6 cylinder with 2.7L. No the engine light doesn’t come on. It doesn't do it all the time. Mostly on a cold start. I give it gas and it doesn't take it and then everything is fine. It never does it when im driving once have reach 20km per hr.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I brought it to the Hyundi service because last week it got so bad that I couldn't go over 60 km per hr and then suddenly it took its gas and everything was fine and then it started again. That was the first time it did it at high speed. They replaced the spark plugs and wires. They wanted to change the timing belt but i said no. This week the problem still persist from 0 to 20 km.
Hi there... like I said ,the ignition coil sounds like a very good possibility here ,I would have the dealer looking at the engine live data on the scanner .On the scanner you can look at the fuel trims ,to see if the fuel/air mixture is correct ,the cylinder misfiring contribution ,to see if any f the cylinders is acting up/misfiring , also you can monitor other things like the oxygen sensors and coolant sensor performance. Good luck.Let me know.Thank you.
George H.
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician