Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Thank you Pearl. My driver's side seat belt (Hyundai Elantra

Customer Question

Thank you Pearl. My driver's side seat belt (Hyundai Elantra 2013) suddenly will not pull out anymore. I have no idea what caused it, nor, how to fix it.
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with Hyundai. The Hyundai Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts.
Customer: great! Thanks!
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: Sure. I parked, dropped off dry-cleaning and then, when I got back into my car and pulled the driver's side seatbelt, it would not extend. I checked to ensure that there was no blockage. For some reason, it no longer pulls out as it always, normally, has.
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: Yes.
JA: Great! What have you tried so far?
Customer: Well, I noticed that I was able to depress a latch (Not sure if you'd call it a latch) where the seat belt feeds into the inside of the car. I never noticed this before. Anyway, I could move the little box, in which the latch is located, up and down and it did let the seat belt out just a tad more, but, still, it will not extend all the way out.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Hyundai Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer:
Yes, please. Simply, I have pulled on it with a deal of force but to no avail.
JA: I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and connect you two.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. One of the most common causes of seat belt retractor lock up is the belt went into the retractor twisted. Sometimes it can be worked out with access to the retractor. There is an accelerometer on the retractor that can mess up and prevent the belt form coming out. The best approach at this point is to replace the set belt assembly. You do no want it to fail again and or fail when needed in a collision. If those replacement steps are needed, let me know. -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------On your screen at the top you should see a rating 1-5 stars and a green submit button. Please make sure to select one and press submit. I am not compensated by the website unless a customer rates. Rating only pays me from the deposit you have already made, it does not charge you more, nor close the post. Also all follow ups are free and welcome.Thanks Chris
Hello again Chris here,1) When customers come to Just Answer the website and the experts want them to have a great 5 star experience.2) We also want them to be so pleased that they come back for future needs.3) I have the feeling you were not pleased with my help because the post was not rated and or you need me to help more. If so please do reply.4) I have an option for an additional fee to upload diagrams, repair guides, find a repair facility, or call you if that would help. Thanks Chris