George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

I have a 2016 Santa Fe Sport 2.4l engine. The adaptives were

Customer Question

I have a 2016 Santa Fe Sport 2.4l engine. The adaptives were reset and I get a flair (~1500rpm) between 2nd and 3rd gears, ONLY once when the engine is cold, outside temp around 32 or under. After the flair, the trans works fine the remainder of the day.
JA: Good to know. The mechanics have tons of experience dealing with this sort of thing. How old is your transmission?
Customer: They just replaced the trans 2 weeks ago with a brand new trans. The previous trans ( only 5400 miles) did the same thing after numerous attempts resetting the adaptives.
JA: Ok. We'll get you to one of the go-to transmission guys. Other than the problems you mentioned, how has the car been running?
Customer: Fine.
JA: Noted. I'll pass this info along to the mechanic so that he can get you a quick fix. Anything else I can tell the Hyundai Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: Not right now, thanks.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.
Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). I normally log in after 3 pm central. Please make sure to let me know exactly what is needed from me so I can provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service. If you idle the engine for 5 minutes prior to driving does this still occur?Does this occur the first time it shifts 2-3 shortly after leaving the driveway or later?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't ever idle the vehicle for 5 minutes. First thing is I leave the garage, wait for the garage door to close, then drive. I am not a lead foot either. The flair only happens between 2nd and 3rd gear and only happens first thing in the morning and only when it is approximately around 40 degrees or below. After the flair happens, it does not do it any time later in the same day.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I forgot to add I bought the car new in Sept 2015, and the addaptives were reset two different times on the original trans, and once so far on the new trans. Exact same problem every time.
Can you idle the engine 5 minutes prior to driving below 40 degrees. I am wanting to see if a little heat in the fluid form the idle time resolves this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having to run the vehicle for 5 minutes is NOT a design feature for the trans. I am looking for a solution so the trans functions as designed!
I am not telling you to do this forever just once. This will tell me if heat helps or not so I can determine what is wrong inside the transaxle.