sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

2007 santa fe limited does not run out properlly. With the

Customer Question

2007 santa fe limited does not run out properlly. With the accelerator on the floor, it has good torque up to about 4500rpm.
JA: The mechanics have tons of experience in that area. Are those all of the "symptoms"?
Customer: It acts like it is starving for fuel, but i just replaced the fuel pump and tps.
JA: Anything else I can tell the Hyundai Mechanic before I connect you two?
Customer: The hyundai deal told me it has a bad transmission. I just find it hard to beleive, seems more of an engine issue.
JA: Got it. Let's get this figured out. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and connect you two. You'll be on the road in no time.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is***** is a common symptom of a clogged catalytic converter. You can remove front oxygen sensor completely from exhaust to relieve pressure to see if that helps, if so you know the converter is clogged. Let me know if you have more questions or if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bank 2 was replaced last year. It hasnt thrown a code for a under efficency cat .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Like i said, it hangs at 4500 and starts bogging down and will not shift until I let off the gas some.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there a sensor on the tranmission that sends a signal to the ecu, causing the engine to act like it is being governed?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
Can it go past 4500 rpm in park or neutral? It usually won't throw the cat efficiency code. There is no sensor that should cause this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I haven't tried reving it that high in park. I don't think it is a bad cat from looking at the live stream data. From the cat I replaced and the old one, the data pretty much mirrors each other.
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.
I'll open question back up to see if someone else has some ideas. Someone will reply automatically when they can help. Thanks.
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!If the engine is simply running out of power then an exhaust restriction or lack of fuel are very good possibilities.Have you actually tested fuel pressure or exhaust backpressure on each bank while the problem is happening?Are any fault codes setting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Has a new fuel pump. I also checked the back psi on both cats. They were at 1.5 psi at 2500 rpm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I also did a vacum check, held constant through the rpm range.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any other ideas? I am just about all out..
The problem happens at 4,500 RPM though, correct? That's where backpressure needs to be checked -when the problem is present. Any test results obtained when the problem isn't happening aren't usable.Has fuel pressure been tested at the time the problem is happening?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Fuel psi was just checked at the dealer. I did rev it to 4500 in park, back psi was still about 1.5 psi. I was afraid to attempt any higher. I would hate to blow the engine. Aside from that, not sure how I can check it going down the road.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do have a bosch scanner that show live data.
The problem happens while driving, correct? That's when testing needs to be done. Whether it's backpressure, fuel pressure or looking at scan tool data no results are valid unless the problem is happening.What is fuel pressure while the problem is happening?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The dealer said it was 60+ psi and it was fine. Fuel psi, cats, ocv, tps, all good. Is the any other sensor that could lead to this that i can check?
Over 60 PSI is well over the highest allowable specification.What was the dealer's diagnosis?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bad transmission. Is still believe it is engine related causing it to not go above 4500
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you hold the gas pedal on the floor it hangs up at like 4500 RPM like its starving for fuel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Aside from that it runs great, idles great
What are the long and short term adaptives for both banks while the problem is present?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Adaptives, you got me on that one. I don't know what that means. Ha. So what is it in layman's terms?
It's a measure of how much fuel is being added or taken away. Long and short term on both banks needs to be looked at.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Oh. I can do that. Give me a few minutes I'll go drive it
Ok.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ltftrm 1 and 2 5.5 on each. stftrm 1 and 2 0.0 on each. Rpm was 4700
Are any codes setting?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just tried it again, held it down longer to see how far the rpm would build and continue shifting. This time it did not shift and something started popping. I couldnt tell what is was, back firing or transmission noise. Either way, I don't want to repeat it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No codes
What were the adaptives at that time? You have to be duplicating the problem to diagnose it.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is it common for these santa fes to squeal when reving it up?. Sorta sounds like air in throttle body.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That was the adaptives, she was hung at 4700rpm
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It seems like a timing issue, but no codes.
What is cam/crank difference at idle and when the problem is happening?Do you have chassis ears to find the source of the noise?What did they say the actual failure in the transmission was?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do i look for on my scanner for the cam and crank sensor? They didn't say, other than a bad transmission and $3000.00 for repair. It only made it when I held down the accelerator for a long period of time to see if it would continue building rpms. At an idle , she is quiet as a mouse.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also, i just noticed a thumping noise while sitting in park , revving the engine. It makes it going up through and coming down through 1100 rpm.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It hasn't been doing that. The thumping noise is very prominent and is coming from the transmission area.
If there is a thumping noise coming from the transmission that does indicate an internal failure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be the variable intake sensor
Variable intake issues will usually create no perceptible symptoms.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I check the solenoid and actuator, they were both fine. At what RPM does it activate?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I took it to another transmission shop and they said the transmission is fine. One of the mechanics did mention it could be a mass airflow sensor even though it's not throwing a code, is that likely and how can i validate that?
An inaccurate mass airflow sensor can cause the engine to run rich or lean. Diagnosing the problem is going to require either data recording or monitoring live data on a scan tool while the problem is happening.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can do that . I'll record it tomorrow and let you know.
Great!