EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master certified L1, L2, Diesel Certified 16 years experience
34559540

Hyundia sonata V6: I was driving my 2002 hyundai sonata and

Customer Question

I was driving my 2002 hyundai sonata and the check egine light came on and now my car act like it dont want to go but when i unhook the battery cable and put the cable back the light hora out and. It runs just fine
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Hi. Several things can cause your check engine light to come on. The systems that can be causing this need to be narrowed down. Can you have the computer checked for any codes that may be stored? And if you reset the battery you may have to wait until the light comes back on for a code to be stored?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank s Fore telling me what i already new you cant find out Whats wrong with the check egine light still on i already new that this was just a wast of my money You all got me this it want happen again
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to have a chat with you. You dont see I asked you a few questions? I dont know how much you know about cars.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If i new you Were going to tell me that the check egine light has to be on in order to find out Whats wrong i would have never wasted my money i already new this
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
The light doesnt always have to be on for a code to be stored. But if you recently reset the battery then the code is probably gone. Do you want help and want to ask me questions on this or not?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes i rest it and yes i have to waite i just dont understand why when i am driving my car and the light comes on and i get to a red light and have yo stop it act like it dont want to go any Were but it moves but not like it is supose to until i take the battery cable off and put it back
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
It sounds like the engine is going into limp mode. This is usually do to a sensor issue or an issue with the transmission. Have you noticed any concerns with the way the transmission shifts when it is driving normally?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the tranmission dose just fine when its running normal it change gears the way it is supose to it only act that way when the light comes on. And once i rest it it run just fine
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Owe will this help you any when i put gass in my car it act like it dont want to start it kinda like its fluded out and the after few second it starts up I no this sounds crazy but it happen every time i put gass in my car
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
There has been a service bulletin out for a while from Hyundai that is for your concern of going into limp mode. The service bulletin has you check for trouble codes. Then depending on the codes, especially transmission solenoid codes, you follow the bulletin and it leads to either replacing the transmission control module.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
I would be willing to bet that the concern of hard starting after fueling is not related to going into limp mode. Usually that concern is caused by a stuck open canister purge valve. TO check that you need to check if it is pulling vacuum on the fuel tank when it is disconnected.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok Thank you so much have a grat day
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Your welcome. You can come back to this chat and we can continue another day, if you get codes checked or need more info or something like that.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
SOunds good.
Expert:  EricFromCT replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for letting me assist you. Please rate my service and have a great day.