Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

I have a 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe, V6, 2WD. Took it on a trip

Customer Question
I have a 2001 Hyundai...
I have a 2001 Hyundai Santa Fe, V6, 2WD. Took it on a trip (6 hr). Going was ok but on the way back, didn't have any power. Up hill was about 1 mph and down wasn't a lot better. Replaced the following: TPS, sensor above TPS, FPR, fuel pump (twice), timing belt, have checked and rechecked timing marks, replaced O2 sensors. Husband is a mechanic and has ran codes. There are no codes. The radio comes on when it wants to (even without a key and no one in the car) and drains the battery. All this happened after he spent time working on my car. Struts, mounts, cv axles,etc. Was working great! Then, no power :( Husband is a great mechanic but has become frustrated. I just want my car back. Any ideas what is wrong with it or where he should go next? He mentioned something about the BCM or the ECM? Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated.
Also, it seems to idle ok (not great) but when you put it in gear it starts sputtering and dies but will start right back up. It is worse in reverse than in drive. I can understand why he is frustrated.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Hyundai
3/19/2016
Hyundai Mechanic: Roy, import/domestic specialest replied 1 year ago
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest

good evening my name is ***** ***** I will assist

it sounds like the cat converters are clogged shut.

have him remove the upstream o2 sensors and see if it runs any better. that would be a starting point

Roy

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Thank you. I told my husband and he said "He could be right". He will check it out tomorrow. Wouldn't that throw a code?

that is not fuel control. it is mechanical. there are no codes for mechanical controls

please dont forget to rate me as it is the only way I get paid for my efforts

Roy

Roy

Roy

how are you making out

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Sorry it took so long.

ok, he removed the exhaust system from exhaust manifold to the tail pipe and took it to a muffler shop. They checked it out and it passed with flying colors.

Removed alternator and had it tested - it was bad, replacing it. Also, the alternator wires looked like they were too close to the exhaust sys. as they looked a little crispy - fixing that too.

Going to put it back together tomorrow. Since we have already done everything else, his mechanic buddies ( a couple of them are master mechanics) have suggested:

Body Control Module

Transmission (Since it's worse in gear)

So, if we still have the same problem after getting it back together, where do we go next?

Help please. Thank you.

taking the exhaust to a shop checks nothing. you needed to do a back pressure test to test the converter, not a exhaust shop. I never told him to remove the exhaust at all. I said to remove the sensor and test drive. you may have the same issue until the proper testing is done to confirm the failure.

Roy
Roy
Roy, import/domestic specialest