Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

When changing the rear shocks on a 2006 hyundai Sonata the…

Customer Question
when changing the rear shocks...
when changing the rear shocks on a 2006 hyundai Sonata the upper bolts snapped off. Is there a top plate in the trunk to access the bolts from the top?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Hyundai
3/11/2016
Hyundai Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago
Daniel Wilson

Hi Robert. My name is***** the carpet over on each side to access the top shock mounts. If you can not get the broken bolts out you can always drill or easy out the broken hardware or weld a washer/nut on to remove them. If you can not save and retap the threads use grade 8 nuts and bolts to remount the new shock.

Click below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrlr_tT01lM

Hyundai Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

If you can avoid having to change the upper mount you can go this way when able to do so.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO9L2q-Elx8

Hi Daniel, There is no access panel that I could find in the trunk. The video you linked me to was the Santa Fe not the Sonata.
Do I have to drill the bolts out or is there a simpler solution
Hyundai Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

There are not interior panels or carpet covering above the wheel well? That is what needs to be removed to access the top of the mount so you can get in there with a light and see if you can get to the bolts to thread them out from the top. If you remove the carpet and anything flammable you might be able to free it up with some heat and soak with PB blaster. If you cant you will need to drill and helicoil, or nut and bolt, or if you can drill and save the threads to retap.

Hyundai Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

The first video is sonata. The second is santafe but the principles are the same and I was using it as an example. Remove the interior panels irregardless if there is a square access cover or not. If there is not on your model the interior panels need to be pulled out of the way to get behind them and put back once the jobs done.

Hyundai Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

My point was to gain access through the trunk behind the interior panels or carpet. If the shock mount was initially good you could have unbolted the shock from the mount and reused the mount is what I was trying to show in the second video for future reference. If the bolts felt like they were going to break in a shop the shop would have to pull those panels to prevent a fire while using torches to heat the bolts.... Either way the panels would be moved out of the way.

There is no access panel I'm going to try drilling out the bolts
Hyundai Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

If you cant get to the top then that is the only option. Also if you can not salvage the threads you will need to helicoil them if you can not get to the top to nut and bolt them with a helper. keep me posted.

Hyundai Mechanic: Daniel Wilson,
 replied 2 years ago

The engineers could have designed something better for that top mount. they never consider those that have to work on it down the road.