Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 04 elantra starts but doesnt run\ i started the car put…

Customer Question
My 04 elantra starts...

My 04 elantra starts but doesnt run\

Mechanic's Assistant: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Hyundai. The Hyundai Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.

I started the car put into drive and 5 mins later the car wouldnt let me give it gas or turn the steering wheel

Mechanic's Assistant: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?

If i can

Mechanic's Assistant: Is there anything else the Hyundai Mechanic should be aware of about your Hyundai?

I jump boosted the car then it was able to drive i just want to know is it the battery or something worst

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Hyundai
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
NEED HELP ASAP
BEEN MORE THEN 10 MIN
3/1/2016
Hyundai Mechanic: Ron, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Ron, ASE Certified Technician

Hello and thank you for your question and sorry for the delay.

If jump starting the car allowed you to be able to drive it then you may very well be looking at a failing battery. I would start first with having the battery charged and load test to make sure it will hold the charge and while doing so also have the charging system tested to make sure the alternator is putting at the correct charging voltage. Normal charging voltage on a good working alternator should be right at 14 volts. Most auto part stores will run both of these tests for you at no charge. Post back if you have more questions and or need more help and we can work from there.

Also the battery and engine light both went on then off when the car was jump
Am i better off buying a new battery or just a charger

You may be okay to get a new battery but you would be better off to at least have the old one and the alternator checked first to make sure which one is failing. If the battery light dose not come on after the engine is running and the jumper cables are removed then its very likely just a failing battery.

If my answer has helped you, please help me by leaving a rating or accepting my answer so I may be credited. Rating or accepting my answer does not cost you extra. It allows me to be credited for my work. Please rate or accept. You can ask follow-up questions after you rate or accept.