Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My name is ***** ***** 2003 Hyundai Sonata 2.4l replaced…

Customer Question
My name is *****...

My name is ***** ***** 2003 Hyundai Sonata 2.4l replaced timing belt and crank sensor, no spark to spark plugs had no start situation prior to replacing the crank sensor

Mechanic's Assistant: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?

Checked fuses rechecked timing belt checked to see if there was spark to the spark plugs no spark

Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Hyundai
2/28/2016
Hyundai Mechanic: George H., Hyundai Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

Did the timing belt break before you replaced it?

do you have a voltmeter to check the crank sensor output if I guide you?

No it did not breK

Good, do you have a voltmeter?

Good, unplug the crank sensor connector and measure between the three wires on the vehicle side of the connector to find the 2 that show 12 volts between them, then on the third wire slip a straight pin along the wire to make contact inside the connector. Plug it back in and put your meter between the pin and ground and with the key on turn the crankshaft by hand to see if the meter shows 5 , 0 , 5 , 0, 5 etc as you turn the crankshaft at the crank bolt.

If you do not show the crank signal then you will need to open it back up and check the sensor for damage.

If you have a scant oolong that chow RPM then you can use that to see if it shows at least 250 while cranking the engine. I will need to get back to a real computer so I will be offline for about 30 minutes. I can check on your results at that time or whenever you are able to make the test.

Thanks

I'm only getting 12 volts at one pin

You should be measuring between the pins, that will find you the ground and the 12 volt supply.

Is that what you did?

You should show 12 votls between the red and black wires leaving the blue wire for the signal measurement.

Pink ,yellow, black only pink wire was I getting voltage

So when you measure between the pink and black wires do you get 12 volts?

Black and pink there is voltage between black and yellow getting 5 volts

OK, plug it in with a pin along the yellow wire to make contact inside the connector and measure from there to ground to see if it shows a 5 - 0 - 5 - 0 volt toggle as you turn. If it stays at 5 volts the sensor has a problem and you need to open it back up.

You must turn the crank by hand clockwise using the crank bolt and the key on.

Let me know what you find

George H.
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician