Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

2011 elantra what happens when you turn the crankshaft

Customer Question
counter clockwise several times by...
2011 elantra what happens when you turn the crankshaft counter clockwise several times by hand?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Hyundai
2/15/2016
Hyundai Mechanic: George H., Hyundai Technician replied 1 year ago
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

When you rotate counter clickwise you will unload the tension from the chain. You should not damage anything but the sound you heard might have been the camshaft advance moving through its travel.

Have you tried to turn it clockwise a couple of times?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Hi,I see your response is different from the original one. I only needed to know if rotating the engine counter clockwise by hand several times would cause a problem. I have already reinstalled a lot of parts based off your first response that it would not cause damage.
Later on (before contacting you) I rotated the engine clockwise for the final steps for removing the timing cover. I had the passenger side cylinder at tdc on compression and the 2 lines on the cam lined up when the crank was on 0 degrees. Just like the image in the manual says it should. There was no longer any slack in the timing chain.That coupled with your statement that no damage had accord led me to reinstall all of the components onto the engine.So am I good or do you think there is a problem with the engine?

That is the only reply I have made, I don't know what you see is different?

I do think you are good, if you have the #1 cylinder (belt end of engine) on TDC the cam marks are together and you have the guides and tensioner installed with the pin out of the tensioner you will be in time and no damage should occur.

You hsould be good with no damage.

Please let me know if you have further questions

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My original question was just turning the engine counterclockwise several times by hand. Would that cause a problem?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I see the mistake was mine. The phone shows " You should not damage anything..." I thought that was what you typed. I noticed mobile devices do not let me reply. So that is where the idea that you change the message came from. Sorry for that. Anyhow. Seems there is no problem with the engine?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I never did anything with the chain, tensioner, or a pin. Just took all the plugs out but the #1 cylinder and turned the crank clockwise. The slack went out of the chain at the top and when the crank was at 0 degrees the cam sprocket lines lined up. The only reason I was worried was because of the note saying don't turn it counterclockwise.

No problems then, you should be fine. They don't want you to turn it counterclockwise as it unloads the tensioner and puts the slack in the chain on the other side but if you turn it clockwise before you remove anything it will bring the slack back to the tensioner side and it should be fine.

Let me know if you have further questions

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Great, well thanks for the help. Glad the engine is ok. Bye

Always glad to help, please rate my service if you have no further questions

Thank you

George H.
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician