Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

Wont start, No matter what I tried, the engine cranks but

Customer Question
Wont start JA: Sometimes things that...
Wont start
JA: Sometimes things that you think will be really complicated end up being easy to fix with a Hyundai. The Hyundai Mechanic I'm going to connect you with knows all the tricks and shortcuts. Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: No matter what I tried, the engine cranks but wont keep running. Could it be the ECM ?
JA: Are you hoping to fix this yourself?
Customer: If I could. Trying to cut cost. This car costed me quite a bit in repairs already.
JA: Is there anything else the Hyundai Mechanic should be aware of about your Hyundai?
Customer: New battery, checked cables, starter ok and solednoid new,new fuel pump,...etc still won't run.
JA: OK. Got it. Last thing - JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Hyundai Mechanic about your situation and then connect you two.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Hyundai
2/12/2016
Hyundai Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Technician replied 1 year ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Technician

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose). Experts aren't employees / agents of Just Answer. We are independent service providers using the Site to sell their Expert knowledge to Customers. I strive to provide EXCELLENT 5 STAR service, let me know what's needed from me so your pleased.

Can I get the year, and model, and engine?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
2004 santa fe 2.7L
New battery, alternator, fuel pump, etc still wont start. Before replacong ECM want to know if there is a simpler solution.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Before I buy and try to replace the ECM, wanted to find out if it could be anything else, hopefully simpler solution.
Already replaced alternator, solenoid, new battery,...etc...2004 Santa Fe 2.7L

Have you checked the fuel pressure, ignition spark, injector pulse, and compression?

Will it start if applying throttle while cranking?

Will it start and run briefly on starting fluid?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Oh fuel pump also replaced. Tried throttle while cranking, used to start now stopped running completely. It won't run briefly any more... just cranks and stops.
Could be AntiTheft controls - ? any other ideas ?

Is the theft light on or flashing with the key on?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no theft light or flashing
Did not try or check pressure, ignition spark or pulse or compression or starting fluids.

Can you check those, do you know how?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
will have to be in daylight.
give me tips

Fuel pressure is checked by connecting a pressure gauge to the fuel rail. With the key on you want to see 30 psi or more.

Ignition spark, remove a plug, reconnect it, ground it, crank the engine and you should see spark.

Injector pulse, unplug an injector, plug up a noid light in its place, crank the engine and the light should flash.

Compression is checked with a pressure gauge threaded into the head in place of a spark plug. You want 115 psi minimum and all cylinder to be the same.

Thanks for asking your question and letting me try to help you.

If your confused on why or how to rate me, let me know.

I'm only paid from the deposit you've made when you rate 3,4, or 5 stars.

Follow up/Reply as many times as needed before or after rating.

I like to stay in contact with my customers. I assume you were not pleased with me or my answer since you did not rate it leaving me feedback. Just so you know we can still work on this issue. We can pick up where we left off or start over. I hate you paid all that money for your question deposit and have left not satisfied. Would any diagrams or repair guides or a phone call help?.

Thanks Chris

Chris (aka- Moose), Technician