Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My car won't start it cranks over but wont fire I change the…

Customer Question
My car won't start it...
My car won't start it cranks over but wont fire I change the ignition coil pack spark plug spark plug wires and fuel pump and fuel pump relay and still nothing nothing
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Hyundai
2/3/2016
Hyundai Mechanic: Edward, Service Technician replied 2 years ago
Edward
Edward, Service Technician

Hello, Eddie here and I will do all I can to help. Have you verified that you get no spark to the spark plugs when you crank the engine?

I have there is spark and I can smell gas. 2 spark plugs are soaked in gas

Alright, Does it sound like it's turning over normally? or does it sound like it doesn't have any compression, let those two plugs dry out, and I'd try it again with the gas pedal to the floor, sounds like it's flooded, like maybe an injector is hanging open.

It sounds like no compression i tryed hooking up a fuel pressure gage but cant find where ro hook it up at to verify

If it's got the plugs soaked, I'll bet there is fuel there.

did it just shut off while driving down the road?

just killed it self

I think your timing belt is broke Dylan. If it sounds like it doesn't have any compression when you spin it over. Check that, and if it's the timing belt, you can try another belt, but it's likely it may have bent the valves unfortunately. I hate to be the bearer of bad news there. But usually if the engine is running and the belt breaks on these, pistons hit the valves. I believe that is what you have going on there with those symptoms. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Could it possible be the crank shaft sensor

Not if you have spark to the plugs.

You've checked spark to the plugs when cranking correct?

pull the oil cap off the engine, and shine a light in there, and see if you see the cam turning when somebody cranks on it.

Theres is spark and wen i look in threw the oil cap all i c is 4 little squares

OK, that baffle is in it then, You will have to look at the cam sprocket under the front timing cover to check it. If it sounds like it doesn't have compression when turning over, I would definitely check that now.

Let me know what you find there. thanks.