Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

Probably 6-8 months ago, I noticed a giant blob of grease

Customer Question
sitting on the inside rim...
Probably 6-8 months ago, I noticed a giant blob of grease sitting on the inside rim of my passenger front wheel. I meant to look into it, but forgot. Fast forward to now...
Several times over the last week, when I back out of the driveway, put it in Drive, and start to accelerate, I hear a thump from that same wheel. It doesn't happen every time, but it seems to be getting louder.
Are these two things related? If so, or if not, what do you think is the problem and how should I go about fixing it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Hyundai
1/28/2016
Hyundai Mechanic: George H., Hyundai Technician replied 1 year ago
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

It sounds like the grease boot has broken on the drive axle for your right wheel.

Replacing the axle assembly will be the repair and that should run about $100 for the labor and about $70 for the parts.

Please let me know how I can help you with your question

Thank you

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Thanks George.

So are the grease and the clunk sound related?

Would an armchair mechanic like myself be able to replace it? If so, how?

Yes, when the grease boot ripped on the axle it allowed the grease to escape and the axle ran dry wearing it so you get the clunk. Replacing the axle and cleaning up the grease will solve both issues.

Please let me know how I can help

Thank you

Click here for axle replacement video

You will have to decide if you can do that.

One word on parts, you do NOT want any type of remanufactured axle. Only get a new one.

Thanks

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

Are there any other common things that I might think of replacing while doing this?

No, the brakes if worn and inspect the tires but nothing is a normal maintenance item.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago

I think this should be my final question, but will the vehicle require an alignment after this process is complete?

No, no alignment needed after an axle replacement, if the suspension was disturbed then yes but just disconnecting a ball joint then it is not needed.

Please let me know if you have further questions

Thank you

George H.
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician