George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  Hyundai Gold certified, ASE Master tech 15+ years
13574682

Son has a 2004 Elantra GT and the low beams no longer work.

Customer Question

Hi, son has a 2004 Elantra GT and the low beams no longer work. Fuse is OK. High beams work. Is there a known issue with Elantra headlights? Is this something that would show up in the OBD? Sounds like a ground problem to me, but don't know where to start.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Hello I will help you with your question,

It could be ground but do you have a voltmeter or 12 volt testlight to check the circuit if I guide you?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Not with the car at the moment. Was wondering if this is a known problem with that model and what to check besides the fuse.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

It will take checking at the bulb socket first (certainly fuses) but I have seen a simple case of both headlamps being burned out. If high output bulbs were installed the bulb sockets may be burnt.

Using a testlight or voltmeter will tell the tale and track down the problem, let me know when you are ready to check it out.

Thank you

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thanks. Won't be home for an hour or more and my son works nights, so not sure when I will get to it. Not really a safe situation for him or others with just the high beams functional.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

Cretainly not safe, please let me know when you are ready to find the issue, I am here most of the time. I am on eastern time so about 2 more hours tonight and back again in the morning.

Let me know when you are ready

Thanks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
OK. Thanks. Swapped the high and low beam fuses already, since high beams work, and it made no difference. Hopefully not something on the stalk switch.
Expert:  George H. replied 1 year ago.

OK, might be the switch but I would check the bulb sockets first for power and the switch provides ground.

Let m eknow what you find when you get a chance to check.

Thanks