Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

Son has a 2004 Elantra GT and the low beams no longer work.

Customer Question
Hi, son has a 2004...
Hi, son has a 2004 Elantra GT and the low beams no longer work. Fuse is OK. High beams work. Is there a known issue with Elantra headlights? Is this something that would show up in the OBD? Sounds like a ground problem to me, but don't know where to start.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Hyundai
1/5/2016
Hyundai Mechanic: George H., Hyundai Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

It could be ground but do you have a voltmeter or 12 volt testlight to check the circuit if I guide you?

Not with the car at the moment. Was wondering if this is a known problem with that model and what to check besides the fuse.

It will take checking at the bulb socket first (certainly fuses) but I have seen a simple case of both headlamps being burned out. If high output bulbs were installed the bulb sockets may be burnt.

Using a testlight or voltmeter will tell the tale and track down the problem, let me know when you are ready to check it out.

Thank you

OK. Thanks. Won't be home for an hour or more and my son works nights, so not sure when I will get to it. Not really a safe situation for him or others with just the high beams functional.

Cretainly not safe, please let me know when you are ready to find the issue, I am here most of the time. I am on eastern time so about 2 more hours tonight and back again in the morning.

Let me know when you are ready

Thanks

OK. Thanks. Swapped the high and low beam fuses already, since high beams work, and it made no difference. Hopefully not something on the stalk switch.

OK, might be the switch but I would check the bulb sockets first for power and the switch provides ground.

Let m eknow what you find when you get a chance to check.

Thanks

George H.
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician