Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.
2921078

Our 2011 Hyundai Sonata is making a loud noise, like it is

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. Our 2011 Hyundai Sonata is making a loud noise, like it is dragging something under the car. We were out of town for two weeks and when so the car was idle during that time. First noticed it when we started the car and backed it of the driveway when we returned.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Happened more once we put it in drive and started driving down the street. Just sounds like something heavy is dragging under the car. The exhaust pipe seem to be emitting a heavier than usual but I figured that was because its cold and the car hasn't run for two weeks. Check engine light came on as well. 55 miles on the car.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Hyundai Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Did you have the parking brake on while the car was sitting for a couple weeks?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok, with the check engine light on, is the engine still running as smooth as it normally would?
Also, I assume the car does have to be rolling for you to hear this dragging sound?
One last question, how far have you driven the car since this all started?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the engine sounds normal. Only issue is the dragging noise that we heard once we started driving. Only drove it down the block (about 100 feet) and thought it was better to figure out what was wrong before driving further.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Ok

Here's what I think.

This is quite possibly a rust build up on the brake rotors. This happens when the car sits for a long period of time. At the dealership the salesman actually take the cars for a drive once in a while to clear the rust off the rotors. Usually it's nothing more then surface rust and it will clean off rather quickly. You should be able to see the brake rotors through the wheels to see if they look rusty or shiny. Usually a few miles with a few stops will clean the rust off and the car will go back to sounding normal.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Thought I would check in with you and see how you made out with this?