sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Tuscon 2006 2.0 diesel, brake warning lamp AND ignition

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. Tuscon 2006 2.0 diesel, brake warning lamp AND ignition warning lamp staying lit. Alternator replaced 4 months ago
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Brake warning light and ignition light staying on all the time
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Hyundai Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

There are a handful of things that could be going on and it will take some electrical testing to determine what is going on.

I'm assuming you're seeing these lights on while the engine is running.

The first step in diagnosing the problems will be to see what fault codes are setting. Have you at least read codes from the engine controller?

Have you checked the brake fluid level and attempted to release the emergency brake?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The emergency brake is fine, and all fluids fine. I think the problem may be the alternator fuse in the fusebox in the engine compartment. Having researched this I can see that it is not a fuse that can be changed easily, it requires a socket to remove it and check it. It is the unmarked one at the bottom left of the picture on this link http://www.c-suvs.com/fuse_panel_description-1732.html
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Under the spare fuses

The battery light isn't on while the engine is running though, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
battery light is on when engine running
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
did you see my last message?

Have you checked the voltage at the alternator output stud when running while the battery light is on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no

Do you have a digital voltmeter? If you're wanting to diagnose the problem yourself that will be the first step.