Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

My daughter has a 2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS. She said the car

Customer Question
would not shift out of...
My daughter has a 2004 Hyundai Elantra GLS. She said the car would not shift out of park when she depressed the brake so she ended up forcing it into gear. I have the counsil cover off and nothing looks bent, I pulled the airbox and nothing on the trans shift lever appears to have moved any sugestions.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Hyundai
12/20/2015
Hyundai Mechanic: Mike V., Hyundai Technician replied 2 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician

H there,

Will the shifter go back into park? Or are we still trying to determine why it won't come out of park?

It goes back to park,It seems as thou it doesn't travel far enough to fully engage the pin that release when the ignition key is on you know the pin that slides into the ignition lock. Also the gear selector on the dash does not match up to the selector on the console.
When I pull the shifter from park and run it throu the gears P-R-N-D-3-2-1 The dash indicatorshow 3 when I am pulled all the back and should be in 1 or low.

Ok

I need a minute to gather some info on this.

Will the car shift out of park like its suppose to now or not?

it will shift out of park, and actually when in park shifter pushed all the way foreward the dash indicator wants to show reverse.

Ok

What I would like to have you do is disconnect the cable from the switch under the hood. Then, push the switch all the way to one position or the other and see if it shows park or low on the dash. Just take the cable off, leave the electrical connector on and let me know.

ok be right back

Thanks.

Cable is off and when lever is pushed all the way toward the firewall it is in low when pulled backto the stop away from the firewall it is reading park.

Ok, put the switch into park and the shifter, re connect the cable and see how we make out. She might have messed up the cable adjustment. This will let us know.

ok I put trans in park and put shift lever in park and reattached the cable. The thing that seems wrong is when you turn the key on the center cable will then release so you can depress the button to shift, the pn in the shift lever does not travel far enough foreward to fully engage it is like a rocker switch or lack. When I run the gears again the lowest reading on the dash indicator is 3 instead of 1 or low.

Ok, I do get what you are saying, but I don't have any info for the shift interlock cable on the car. They don't provide it. It should be adjustable, but I can't find a single bit of info on adjusting it.

I can open this back up for the other experts, and it really doesn't make any sense that you hook up the cable and it's not showing properly on the dash. That has me a bit baffled.

Please don't reply or it will lock it to me. I want to get this out there for the others in case someone has the info that's needed to check the adjustment on this.

Hey Miike I figured it out the arm on the shift lever ended up bent from forcing the car into gear. pulled the shift lever off bent it back into shape works perfectly now. Thank you for trying have a great day.

YOu are very welcome and super glad to hear you nailed it!

Mike V.
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician