Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.
2921078

I have a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe with 61,000 miles on it.

Customer Question

I have a 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe with 61,000 miles on it. Three days after an oil change the engine seized and is ruined. The vehicle holds 5 quarts of oil but was down to 2 1/4 and the oil was dirty, smelled burnt and had metallic shavings in it. The Hyundai dealership found no leaks. I have been lax in getting the oil changed often enough. The vehicle was not smoking nor did any warning light come on. What happened?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

Either the company that was suppose to change the oil didn't, didn't fill the car all the way or it broke a ring and was burning the oil. That is a lot of oil to lose in three days to be honest. However if no leaks were found, then either it used it or it just wasn't filled properly to begin with. This will be next to impossible to prove sorry to say. Could tell if the rings were bad with a leak down test, but as far as whoever did the oil change, you would have trouble proving they left the oil low.

Please let me know what more I can do to assist you today. Also, please remember to rate my answer, Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and resources. Follow up questions are included in the price of your question. If you are using the free trial, or have a subscription a rating is still required.
Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could I have caused a problem by not doing frequent oil changes?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Old oil can cause scoring on the cylinder walls. This could lead to the oil getting past the oil rings and burning in the combustion chamber, so it is possible.

Sorry to say, but it is a possibility.

Expert:  Mike V. replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if there is any more I can do.

Also, please remember to rate my answer.

Thanks so much!