Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Have a 1999 Hyundai Elantra, Good battery No juice to

Customer Question

Have a 1999 Hyundai Elantra, Good battery No juice to starter and checked all relays is the starter shot or is there a fuseable link somewhere
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Hello, manual or auto trans? also , do you have a testlight or volt meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Automatic
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

Thanks, ***** ***** also asked do you have a testlight or volt meter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
but car is currently sitting at walmart and were in the middle of a winter storm now
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

I am very sorry to hear that, At this point a guess would be all I can supply and that is not fair to you, I really would prefer a test or two to diagnose with testlight or meter,

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WHAT DO I NEED TO TEST AND WERE AT...BECAUSE I HAVE TO BE TO WORK ON TUESDAY MORNING!!!
Expert:  Randall C replied 1 year ago.

I am going to opt out, I can see you are not happy and fully understand, Another expert should be along soon to help

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Screw this I am pulling my subscription this is NOT worth my hassle or time.....Damn!!!
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris and independent contractor that helps customers here.

Different tech here, would you like me to help?

I can post some things you could phone picture, print or memorize and take with you to try once at Walmart.

Thanks for letting me assist you. I hope I met all your expectations.

Please make sure to complete the required rating when ready so I am compensated by the website from the site and question fees you have already been charged. If your not able to rate my response, let me know why, so I can help more, and stay in contact with you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If you can give me something that will help if not then we're wasting each other's time

I am sure I can help. Below is a link to open.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/Elantra%20start.pdf

For the engine to crank the red wire at the starter needs to have battery voltage 12.6 volts all the time and a signal wire that powers up when trying to start black/yellow. The signal comes from the starter relay under the hood in the fuse box. The relay needs ground all the time on pin 5. Power on pin 1 all the time. Power on pin 3 when trying to start from the ignition switch and TR switch. Can you test those? You can bypass a majority of the things to test it later by removing the relay, turning the key on, and jump a wire briefly from relay pin 1 to 2 to force it to crank if the relay is getting power, the wiring is fine, and the starter and engine are fine.

Sorry you decided you did not want my help.