Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Ok, so I have a 2005 hyundai tucson 2.7l- 2wd. When I am at

Customer Question

Ok, so I have a 2005 hyundai tucson 2.7l- 2wd. When I am at a stop (especially when backing out) and turning sharply, there is a clunking noise when I get to the limit of the turn radius. Then another series of clunking sounds when the wheel returns to center. The clunking sound is almost like a binding spring or something. Really hard to discribe I suppose. It seems to happen more turning th wheel to the left then the right. Also it doesn't make any noises with slight steering movements.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 1 year ago.

Welcome I'm Chris aka Moose

I believe you are going to find one of these things to blame:

Strut bearings

Lower ball joints

Inner and or outer tie rod ends

Steering rack bushings

Can you check those things to see if they are the source of the problem.

-----------About me and Just Answer------------

I am in my upper 30's, have a wife and 2 sons. I farm, fish, hunt, build, and coach youth soccer. I work on anything with an engine, been to many schools and classes through my 12 years with the dealership to get trained and certified. I try the best I can to share what I know and or have access to with my customers. Please consider I base my questions and answers to you, solely on the information you give me since I am not there to see, smell, hear, touch, or test. I try my best to be here everyday starting at 3pm central. Rating an answer is required. Please let me know if your not pleased prior to rating or if you cannot rate me so I can try to help a different way. God Bless and have a great day.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The strut bearings I have replaced and then even replaced it a second time because I thought they were initially the cause of the porblem. I have also replaced both upper and lower ball joints, as well as the tie rod ends, which I then had the car aligned at the hyundai dealer where the drove the car for a short period and told me that it was probably the strut mount bearing so I took everything apart and took the bearings back on warranty and got replacements (hence the second time changing them) which did not solve the problem. But I have not checked the steering rack bushings. That is a really good idea and one I haven't visited. I'll be sure to try and look at it tomorrow or Monday if I get a chance and I will get back to you

Super

I really hate that you came to Just Answer, paid to get an answer, but appears like you left not happy nor pleased with my help. I am still here available to help more. We can start over or just pick up where we left off. Let me know what I can do, so you will be pleased with my assistance.

Chris

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well realistically, I can't leave an honest rating yet. I haven't had a chance to look at my car yet because I haven't had a day off. My weekend starts tomorrow as I work pm's at a hospital. My goal is to work on it tomorrow or Thursday weather depending. I have not forgotten.

Thanks for the update. I just do not want the post to time out and me not able to see your response. We have to stay in constant contact or the post needs to be rated or the post times out.