Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 year in the Auto repiar business ASE Certified
7276279

2004 elantra MIL & DLC both non-functional. Is there a

Customer Question

Customer: 2004 elantra MIL & DLC both non-functional. Is there a common disconnect point for both of these?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Cannot pass emissions testing without MIL and DLC operational. The MIL does not illuminate at key-on and the DLC provides no signals to test equipment.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Hyundai Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure ... No hurry. I'm guessing that this vehicle has probably been tapered with by a prior seller in a state where emissions testing is not required. The DLC connector wiring has not been cut right at the connector so I'm guessing that there may be another connector somewhere between it and the ECM?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Start first with checking to see if you have power to the DCL at the connector, see the steps in the link below, copy and past the link below to your browser to open and view it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/DLC%20Oct%2011.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Already did that yesterday. Only the k-line is dead even though the wire at the connector is not cut. That's why I originally asked where there is another connector with both the DLC signal and the MIL signal where a prior seller would have been able to easily gain access to (and damage, either accidentally or intentionally) both of these signal wires. My schematic suggests that such a connector does exist.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

The K line gets it power from the fuse #25 located in the interior fuse panel. Check and see if its in place and not blown. See the wiring diagram in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/K%20connector%20Oct%2011.pdf

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You're not listening. I said that the k-line (pin 2) is the only dead pin on the DLC. My schematic shows another connector somewhere between the DLC and the ECM. I still want to know where to find that connector because the MIL signal also goes through that same connector and I suspect that it is location of the fault I'm chasing.
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

If the fuse checks okay the K line should have battery voltage to it with the key on, dose your?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
WTF are you talking about? Fuse 25 goes to pin 9 of the DLC. The k-line goes to pin 2. There's no connection between them. And besides none of that has anything to do with the question I originally asked, which is ... WHERE is the OTHER connector located (physically) ... the one that's in series somewhere between the DLC and the ECM, and is also in-line between the MIL and the ECM.