Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

Same problem. Both headlight out. Checked fuse 10 amp h/lp

Customer Question
Same problem. Both headlight...
Same problem. Both headlight out. Checked fuse 10 amp h/lp and its ok.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Hyundai
10/5/2015
Hyundai Mechanic: George H., Hyundai Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

Do you have a voltmeter to check the circuit if I guide you?

Will you be texting your instructions?

I will reply here if you have a voltmeter.

I have one.
Where should I set it? At .000, 0.00, or 00.0?

Good, first check is turn on the lights and check the yellow wires for 12 volts at the bulb connectors. Check your meter on the battery, set it so you see 12.2 - 13 volts when you measure.

Let me know what you find when you measure from the yellow wire to the negative battery terminal with the headlight switch on.

Thanks

Ok George slow down. Are you saying take the cover off, the bulb assembly out, then use the red probe trying to get into the hole where the yellow wire is, while touching the black probe to the battery negative terminal?
Tried to take bulb assembly out and touch probe to side of plastic piece where there is a hole that I assume get me to the yellow wire. Got nothing.

Unplug a bulb and see if you have 12 volts with the meter between the yellow wire and the negative battery post with the light switch on. If nothing then we go back to the relay but if you have 12 volts it may be the bulb.

Let me know if you measure 0 volts or 12 volts.

Thanks

Ok pulled bulb. Shoved red probe down hole where connection for yellow wire should be. Touched black probe to neg battery terminal. Got nothing.

OK, then if you think you made contact to the yellow wire connection back up to the low beam relay and put a paperclip between the #30 and #87 pin socket of the relay. The numbers should be marked on the relay. Let me known what you see with the key on and the bulbs plugged in.

Checked fuse panel under dash and under hood. (You did not specify). Neither has numbers. One under dash has designations on cover, but no numbers
I see on Internet that some have fuses that show amp rating and number. Mine just gives amp rating.

Not the fuse but you are pulling the relay for the low beams, you can also check the #5 fuse in the Passenger box to see if it is blown but testing the points on the back of the fuse to see if you have 12 volts on both of the points.

George, it looks like for this service, I need a higher level of diagnostic capability then I have. I don't know where the relay box is, the fuses STILL don't have numbers on them and I don't know how to "check the points". I will put the parts back together and go to dealer.

All you need is your voltmeter.

Each fuse has two testpoints on the back, measure between that and the negative batter post. The low headlight fuse is in the inside fuse block, the diagram is here (click) the relay for the high and low beam is in the under hood box. (click) check the fuse and if it is good check the relays with a paperclip.

George H.
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician