Adam Legler
Adam Legler,
Experience:  Service Advisor at Antero Automotive
87664109

I have a 2003 awd sante fe 3.5l that binds when backing up

Customer Question

I have a 2003 awd sante fe 3.5l that binds when backing up slowing going in a circle or pulling forward slowing making tight left or right turns. I have replaced the transfer case and differential gear oil with no success.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Adam Legler replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like the limited slip mechanism in the rear differential is either malfunctioning or beginning to fail. The Santa Fe did feature an electronic lock for the rear end that is accessible by pushing a button on the dash. What did your oil look like from the rear differential? Any metallic traces, they would look like glitter almost. This may also be the effect of an underlying cause. Uneven tire wear is just one reason. Is this issue worse when cold, such as first couple miles in the AM or is it worse after you have been driving for a while?

Hello again. I forgot to mention that adding a limited slip additive to the rear diff oil may help as well, despite it being an electronic lock. Thank you for your question and please let me know if this helps