Derek Werner
Derek Werner, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist
61695331

I have a problem, I have a 2008 sonata that has a code

Customer Question

I have a problem, I have a 2008 sonata that has a code p2096. I've been trying different methods to fix the problem. First, I changed the 02 sensor that is found after the catalyzer. Is it possible that the catalyzer is damaged or do I have to change the oxygen sensor the one before the catalyzer, please I need your help.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Derek Werner replied 2 years ago.

Hello and welcome!

I will be happy to assist you with your fault code.

I will be asking you a series of questions to questions to give you the best possible help that i can.

First is there any other trouble codes stored?

Can your scan tool monitor live data?

P2096 is Hyundai manufacture specific code for a failed catalytic converter normally a P0420 catalytic converter efficiency low.

A front O2 sensor, before the catalyst will not likely be needed.

In order to properly diagnose a catalytic converter code you will need to check for proper fuel trim readings.

Long term fuel trim should not be above or below + or - 10%. This is checked when the vehicle is in closed loop, engine at operating temperature.

Next exhaust leaks will need to be checked, any exhaust leaks before or near the O2 sensors a P2096 code can set. Using some rags to plug the exhaust and listen for any leaks before or around the O2 sensors. You may need someone to help you plug the exhaust and listen for leaks.

The front oxygen sensor should be switching above and below .5 volts. The after cat o2 sensor HO2S (B1S2) with a good catalytic coverter will stay above .6volts. with the engine warm and at idle.

The cause of the P2096 is the rear oxygen sensor voltage is staying below the nominal value of .6volts.

This code will set when the voltage is around .4v to .5v or below.

If you can read live data let me know the readings please, fuel trims, and oxygen sensor voltages.

With a failed cat the rear oxygen sensor reading will mirror the front sensor. If this is occurring the catalyst will need to be replaced.

It is very likely that your catalytic converter will need to be changed.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thanks

William.

Have i answered all of your questions? I only strive for excellent service, please feel free to follow up with any questions.

thank you for allowing me to help you.

William