Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Hyundai Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Hyundai Diagnostics
18617752

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe 2003 and the car works fine

Customer Question

I have a Hyundai Santa Fe 2003 and the car works fine everyday until I go to a gas station. I stop the car and fill up the tank and when I get back in the car and try to start it, it sounds like the engine isn't going to start and it takes about 3-5 minutes to get it to actually start. Once I finally get it started it works but as soon as I go to get gas again, does the same thing. Any ideas?
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

May I have the engine size in this vehicle, please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it says 2.4 DOHC 2.7 V6. Is that it?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Both of these engines were offered in this vehicle. Is it the 4-cylinder 2.4L or the 2.7L V6? I only need engine size to provide a location of the faulty item in question. If you do not need a location, let me know and we can move on.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't need the location. It's ok.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

Not a problem! I think I can give you enough info to help solve the issue anyway! Ok, the symptoms you describe are actually a fairly common problem on this vehicle. More times than not, the problem lies in the Purge Control Solenoid Valve. They are a very high fail rate item on these vehicles. This Solenoid plays a role in the emissions system and is supposed to purge fuel fumes after refueling. When faulty, there is too much fuel which will cause the symptoms you describe, until the fumes disperse and return to normal levels. Carefully inspect the electrical connector and wire harness for any loose, broken or damaged wires. Inspect the rubber lines to the Solenoid for any cracks, holes or loose connections. If the visual inspections check ok, replacing The Purge Control Solenoid Valve usually solves the problem. Please remember to leave a rating using the rating system at the top of this page or accept the answer so I may be credited for this Q&A. You can ask follow-up questions any time, even after you rate or accept.

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..

Expert:  Ron Z. replied 1 year ago.

..