Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  35 year in the Auto repiar business ASE Certified
7276279

I have a Hyundai question. we just put a new block in this

Customer Question

I have a Hyundai question. we just put a new long block in this car. it ran into the shop before. now with the new long block installed it wont start.not getting any spark, getting good wave forms from cam & crank sensors. what are we missing.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The first thing I would so is make sure all your ground are in place and then I would check power and ground to the ECM . I have enclosed the things to check in the link below.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/104923897/No%20spark%20Aug%2024.pdf

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Checked what you said. Checks good but still won't start was
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.

SO you still not getting any spark?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
still not getting spark
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.

If you had spark before the install then you are likely looking at a connection concern if you did not find any problem with the testing I sent you. Are you getting injector pulse?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Getting injector pulse
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.

Well something is being over looked here, do you have power to the coils with the key on?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have power to coils with key on
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.

Okay then I would check the circuit from the coils to the ECM.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
circuits check ok. I noticed that with key on I have power in the orange coil wire and the other wire at coil connector also. is that normal.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.

There should only be power at the coil on the power wire with the key on, if the other are hot that would sound like you have feedback usually due to a bad ground.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
if connector is unplugged from coil, only the orange wire is hot. when plugged into coil with key on both wires are hot.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
which ground circuit would you suspect might be bad.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.

I wonder if the coil has failed, do you have a different coil you can install and see if it will start?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
this has coil over plug system, I don't think all four coils went bad at once
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.

Okay I agree, are you getting the ground switching signal to the coils, this would be the other wire besides the power wire, this signal come from the ECM.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I think that is where the problem lies, but what would cause this.
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.

Im beginning to thinkyou have a bad ECM, the ground switching signal from the ECM fires the coils and if you have power on both wire at the coils that what its looking like.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
just put in good used ecm and still wont start
Expert:  Ron replied 2 years ago.

Well Im not sure where to send you from there. I can open the question back up for you if you would like. I an not do much more from here and it looks like you are going to need some hands on testing.