Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

I have a 2009 genesis 4.6 my battery fails to work and i

Customer Question
have replaced it,replaced batteries in...
i have a 2009 genesis 4.6 my battery fails to work and i have replaced it,replaced batteries in starter fob, replaced a switch of unknown origin,am now told the radio is causing the battery to short out.and i need a new radio cost $1200 the car has 88000 miles on it and except for the battery not starting is fine any ideas? oh all the work hasw been done at a hyundai dealership
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Hyundai
8/19/2015
Hyundai Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
HI,
I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.
Ok, what they are describing is a parasitic drain on the battery due to the internal circuitry of the audio unit not turning off when the key is turn off and removed from the ignition.
Your choices are limited in this. You either replace with a new or remanufactured factory unit, have yours sent out for repair, or go to an auto audio specialist and have an aftermarket unit installed.
As to their quote on cost of the audio unit, without knowing the exact model and features of the audio unit, I cannot say if it is overpriced or not
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
this sounds like a design fault if so would not the manufacturer be responsible for the repair or replacement of the audio unit
HI,
It is an electronic item and just like a tv, home radio, laptop computer, appliance of some type with electrical boards, they can fail over time. This does not indicate a design flaw. If there was widespread failure of a specific model where 20% or more failed within a couple of years, that would indicate a design flaw.
eric thank you for your prompt response i guess i will have to see if they can repair the radio for which they will charge 1200 can you evaluate if this is a reasonable price and if repaired will the battery and the navigation unit work as they are suppossed to
HI,
I really need to model number, or at least all the features yours has
hi eric,just advised radio not repairable they are looking for one on the aftermarket . the model is 96560-3M500-N8,SOP module 8304.678304.67 i have no idea what those mean can you see if you can find a radio comparable to this one that i can buy and which the dealer will install many thanks ken
HI,
Ok, I will see what I can find.
ok many thanks ken
HI,
That $1200 quote is looking very good right now. Best I am finding one for is $5300. It actually has a list price of $6190.
Still looking, but not sure if I will find one at a better price
I noticed we have not yet resolved your concern you asked about. I would sure appreciate it if you would reply so I can offer my skills and knowledge and repair guide access to help as best I can.
~Do you still need more help?
~Confused by my info request or answer?
~Need more time?
~Confused on how the site works?
~Need more detail or a different explanation?
If the answer is YES to any of these just press reply and lets work on this concern some more.
If you have new questions now or in the future please do not hesitate to ask them. If you would like me to assist you. Just bookmark this page so you can access my profile easy and post a new question from the question box on my profile page. Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager