Chris (aka- Moose), Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

HYUNDAI SANTA FE: I HAVE A 2006 HYUNDAI SANTA FE THAT DOES

Customer Question

I HAVE A 2006 HYUNDAI SANTA FE THAT DOES NOT ATIVATE MAIN FAN WITH COOLANT TEMP SENSOR. SENSOR, AND TERMOSTAT ARE NEW.VEHICLE IS A 2.4L MANUAL TRANS.
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  Chris (aka- Moose) replied 2 years ago.
Is the engine even running hot?Will the fan run with the AC on?Currently its looking like the PCM is to blame. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I CAN NOT SAY IF THEY ACTUALLY RUN WITH THE A/C ON DUE TO IT BEING INOP AT THE MOMENT, BUT THEY DO FUNCTION WHEN THE TEMP SENSOR IS DISCONNECTED. IF IT WAS TO BE A PCM PROBLEM WOULD THE PCM STILL ENGAGE THE FANS WHEN SENSOR IS DISCONNECTED? DOES'NT IT USE THE SAME SIGNAL TO ACTIVE FANS WITH SENSOR CONNECTED OR NOT? OR DOES SENSOR SEND OUT A SIGNAL TO PCM AND PCM SENDS A RETURN SIGNAL TO ATIVATE FANS, WHICH ONE IS THE MISSING SIGNAL IF ANY?
When the AC is on the fan should always be running, so that can be checked when the fan is inoperable to see if its not coming on. The PCM does use the temp sensor signal for fan control though it appears your is not using the temp signal accurate. You have already replaced the sensor, so it is no longer the blame and the fact it runs with the sensor unplugged means the wiring is good. When unplugged or faulty, the sensor signal results in a default fan on position.