Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

My 2002 elantra gt will not start.battery is new .As I turn…

Customer Question
my 2002 elantra gt will...
my 2002 elantra gt will not start.
battery is new .As I turn ignition key
dash board lights up - there is elect. power,but as I turn key to turn engine all ellectr. power dissapears as if the battery is cut off .Going back to off and on
with ignition key -still no dash board lights. After an hour I try again and miraculasly dash board lights up but turning key more-to
turn engine ...all electr. power is
gone again .Check fuses fuse links ,
ignition switch...all are good.This
is constant repetition;mistery to me!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Hyundai
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
6/29/2015
Hyundai Mechanic: Virtual Wrench, Hyundai Mechanic replied 2 years ago
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Hyundai Mechanic
Do you have a volt meter to test something with?
yes
Good deal!
First i need the static charge off the battery. Connect the meter and record the reading.
Then with meter still connected to the battery, attempt to start it and see what the volts drop to and record it and let me know both readings please.
the static charge is 12.25vdc
after I turned key to start dash board lights went off again ;voltmeter now reading 12.35vdc
Was that 12.35 the reading while the KEY WAS HELD into the start position and you looked at the meter?
12.35 reading is in both times : key in starting position and removing the key
HI,
THIS SURE SOUNDS LIKE A CONNECTION PROBLEM EITHER AT THE BATTERY CABLES.
HAVE YOU REMOVED BOTH CABLES AND MADE SURE THEY WERE MAKING A REAL GOOD CONTACT WITH THE BATTERY POSTS? iF SO, DISCONNECT THE CABLES AT THE OTHER ENDS AND CLEAN THEM REAL WELL. ONE GOES TO THE STARTER(POSITIVE) AND THE OTHER ONE(NEGATIVE) GOES TO THE ENGINE BLOCK FOR A GROUND.
AFTER THEY ARE REAL CLEAN AND MAKING 100% CONTACT TRY IT AGAIN AND LET ME KNOW PLEASE.
THIS MAY ALL SOUND ROUTINE TO YOU BUT WHEN I CANT BE THERE I HAVE TO START WITH THE BASICS.
I checked both connections (pos. and neg.) at the battery and both conn. at starter and engine bloc --all are very very clean
and tight .Electr. power came back to the dash board and acssessory ( power windows,head lights...)as if timing relay had
cut the electr. power and after time (20-30 min.) reconnect it like a magic .But again, as ign.key goes to starting position
electr. power is still on untill I depress the clutch switch ,that is when electr. power cuts off totally and volt meter reads
.1 vdc higher .
I wander if there is a computer device that cuts off the power and re connects it for some reason?
hMMMM,,,HAVE YOU TRIED TO JUMP START IT/
No I have not and it did not even think about it-it did not make sense to me!
Well you wouldn't think so but none of this is adding up so i thought you might try and let me know.
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench
Virtual Wrench, Hyundai Mechanic