Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

Hyundai Sonata: 2001 hyundai sonata 2.4 engine will start then

Customer Question
2001 hyundai sonata 2.4 engine...
2001 hyundai sonata 2.4 engine will start then dies and will not start again
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Hyundai
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/24/2015
Hyundai Mechanic: EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician
Hi. Have you done anything to try and fix this yet? Have you verified if you have fuel at the engine?
yes
So what are all the things you have done or replaced so far?
crankshaft position sensor, camshaft position sensor, fuel pressure regulator, maf sensor, plugs, tps sensor, it is getting fire and getting fuel. 65psi, The car will start and run for 3 seconds and dies and will not start for 10hrs and then do the same thing.
Will the car run if you spray starting fluid into the intake?
no
You should probably make sure the injectors are firing. They should have power all the time to one wire of the injector, and the other ground wire gets pulsed to ground by the computer.
Tried that, they are firing
Did you check the engines compression?
both ground wires are hot when the key is turned on. and yes I checked the engine compression.
what was the compression readings?
its been a while since I did that but if I remember correctly they were all high around 145
That is not high. The compression for that engine is supposed to be 175. 30 psi low on all cylinders is not good. You may have a timing belt problem
I have it written down somewhere, and we checked the timing belt can I respond tomorrow? I am about to leave.
can we continue tomorrow?
yeah
When we checked the compression it was around 170, all of them were about the same.
Ok. You should check the exhaust to see if it is plugged solid.
checked that and it's good
Ok. Sounds like everything checks good, so I do not think I will be able to tell what is wrong. I will open the question up to other experts. Please do not respond or the question will lock to me. Thanks.
EricFromCT
EricFromCT
EricFromCT, ASE Certified Technician