Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Hyundai Sonata: 1993 Hyundai, Sonata, has fuel pressure, cranks…

Customer Question
1993 Hyundai, Sonata, has fuel...
1993 Hyundai, Sonata, has fuel pressure, cranks over good, no spark. Need to know how to test and locate ignition components? 2.0 l engine. Thanks.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Hyundai
6/20/2015
Hyundai Mechanic: Mike V., Hyundai Technician replied 3 years ago
Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Hi there,Do you have power at the coil with the key on?Black/white stripe
Not known, wiring to coil seems to be behind coil pack and enclosed in intake manifold.
No voltage found at mass air flow sensor.
Where is connector for coil located?
Sorry for the delay, not showing the maf on the wiring diagram...Ok, is the check engine light coming on when you turn the key on?
Can't be sure, I am looking at the wiring diagram.
Going to look, for check engine light, forgot.
Sounds good, let me know.
No check engine light coming on, does not seem to have a check engine light or at least not a working one. Looked at instrument cluster with trouble light can see low fuel, seat belt, etc. light even if they aren't on, couldn't see a spot for a check engine light.
Ok, I was showing one on the diagram.Need to have you check the fusible links under the hood.These are the old style wires, both are pink. Pull on them and make sure they are solid, after that, we need to check the ecm relay, it looks like it's over in the passenger side kick panel.We have to check and make sure it's getting power when you turn the key on.Check it out and let me know.
Found connector for coil, it does have power. Has large fuses, referred to as fusible links (on fuse box cover) several in fuse box and 2 more on pos. battery cable, all good. Can't find any old style fusible links.
Checked relay in passenger kick panel, has one wire live when key of, relay unplugged. (wh/bla), one more live with key on, relay unplugged (bla/wh). One more live with key on, relay plugged in, (wh/red). Removed cover and one coil doesn't pull in, other does when cranking.
Ok, I am not showing another coil that should pull in when you crank oddly enough, but I do show that you should also have power on a black/red stripped wire.The other wires do sound like they are doing what they should and if you have power to the coil then it's working.Now I am showing the crank sensor should have voltage on the red wire, you are not getting this?
I don't know about the crank sensor, the timing unit or sensor whatever mounted on the back end of one camshaft didn't have power with key on. Will be away from the computer for a while. Sorry.
Ok, it looks like the ecu control relay is the problem. The wiring diagrams are vague on this, but, I now see the second part of the relay that you said isn't pulling in. This is the power for our cam/crank position sensor. You should have power on the red wire, if you don't, then the relay isn't providing the voltage. I would try replacing this relay first. If the relay doesn't solve the issue it could be a broken wire to the relay or the inhibitor switch on the transmission causing the problem, if it's an automatic.Let me know when you can