Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

Hyundai Tiburon: How can I remove the button magnet from the

Customer Question
How can I remove the...
How can I remove the button magnet from the cam shaft without damaging the magnet
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Hyundai
6/15/2015
Hyundai Mechanic: Greg, import technician replied 2 years ago
Greg
Greg, import technician
Name is***** goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,
Hi .
Could you please explain the button magnet ..
Greg
Sorry, it's on the camshaft for the camshaft position sensor as my button magnet has been damaged and causing the crank position sensor and the cam position sensor to be out of phase or not work at all
I have a spare set if cams that are stock and the magnet is intact that's all so I wanted to remove the good magnet and place it in the performance cams
Ah they sent if they help the magnet is shown with the air gap.
Okay now i see what you mean ,why do you need to remove this part ,
Greg
When I bought the worked cylinder head and high lift cams I assembled the head and got the cams in and turned the engine over on the crank pulley to check the timing I noticed the sensor had broken, so further investigation revealed that the camshaft magnet had been damaged before I fitted the new cylinder head, so because of the damaged magnet there is a error code, I replaced the sensor but the magnet is no good, thus I need to either replace the magnet or possibly try and return the cams
The only problem with returning the cams is that the person who engineered them is in california and I am in the UK also I need to use the car
Hi .
To be honest the only way i can think of is to heat up the cam and remove the pin ,but cams are not to be heated up .This is a No No..
If the dowel pin is too far from the cam sensor then this will cause you a cam sensor code ..check the gap from the button to the pin .
Magnet is in the cam sensor this is just a reference pin that the magnet picks up on..
Greg
Ah right, the magnet is too close to the sensor because it is deformed and needs to be filed down to the correct air gap and shape, I thought the magnet passed the sensor changing the voltage as it passes the sensor and if the change wouldn't be great enough or too much the sensor would cause it to register it as a fault in the wave form so it wouldn't make a flat waveform and the ecu won't recognise it being correct, sorry for the tricky question, I was going to heat it and try and remove it, I will be using a electric paint stripper type heat gun to heat it as I don't have a oxyacetelene torch so I can't get it super hot anyway so hopefully it won't damage the cam.
To be honest I was going to do what you said and knew about the air gap etc, to be honest I haven't found a definitive answer whether they can be removed or not other than heat it up and have a go at it, thanks for your help
Hi .
So you are saying its to long and close to the sensor, if it is file it down to the correct gap.
Or other option fit a washer just the right size under the cam sensor to take it out to correct the gap.
Rgds Greg.
Greg
Greg
Greg, import technician