Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

Hyundai Elantra SE: hard to start after you get fuel no matter

Customer Question
hard to start after you...
hard to start after you get fuel no matter how much fuel is in the tank or how much you get.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Hyundai
6/11/2015
Hyundai Mechanic: George H., Hyundai Technician replied 2 years ago
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Hello I will help you with your question,
You could pinch off the purge vacuum line from the tank and fuel the vehicle and see if you have the same problem. If it starts normally then you know the purge valve is leaking and needs to be replaced.
Let me know how much help you need with locations and such.
Thank you

if the purge valve is a common problem , shouldn't I just replace it ?

Before spending the money on what might be the problem I would want to do a test that costs nothing to try.
If it is hard to start every time the tank is fueled you will have your answer in short order if it really is the valve leaking through.
Please let me know how I can help
Thank you

where should I pinch it off?

I will see if I can get you the location of the purge valve, between it and the intake manifold on the rubber line.
Please give me a couple of minutes to get the diagram
Thank you

ok

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/26725849/purge.pdf
Copy and paste that link into a new browser tab and let me know what happens
Thanks

ok ill plug clamp it off and she wants to take it today so ill let her drive it a couple of days like that.

No, you can't do that. The computer will run the evap test and with a clamped hose it will fail. I know it is failing already but better to have her bring it back when it needs fuel so you can clamp it, go fill it and see how hard it is to start.
Let me know how I can help
Thank you
George H.
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician