Mike V.
Mike V., Hyundai Technician
Experience:  I have over 25 yrs. experience on all makes and models. Factory trained for Subaru and Nissan.
2921078

Hyundai Azera Limited: I have a 2006 Hyundai Azera with 125,000

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Hyundai Azera with 125,000 miles. I was on vacation for two weeks and I had left my car at home. When I returned home and I tried to use my car, I could not shift my car out of park. Also, the steering wheel was not locked as it would be after putting car in park and shutting car off from previous start. I have a warning light on which is identified as an immobilizer lockout symbol to prevent the car from starting. I can start my car and by over riding the system by using the shift release button, I can operate the car normally until I shut the car off. In which case I have to use that shift release button to put car in park. I don't think that my car was tampered with. Any suggestions to the cause and the fix. I have thought about disconnecting the battery and allow it to rest the computer.
Category: Hyundai
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
last sentence should be reset the computer
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Hi there,Check and make sure the brake lights work. Please let me know.Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the brake lights work
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
lol, sorry, it takes a little time to check the wiring diagrams for the shift lock solenoid to see what could possibly cause this.
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
I assume the car has the pedal adjustment and sport mode for the transmission?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes nothing changed from when I used the car two weeks ago
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The steering wheel will not lock in park like normal. That is different
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
I believe the issue is with the park position switch located at the base of the shifter. If this isn't the issue then it will be the key lock control module which is what sees the park position switch and allows you to shift out of park. Seems some of these have had issues with the module failing even though the switch is working properly.Sorry to say there isn't a quick diagnoses from here without testing the switch itself with a volt meter. I believe the module is the problem to be honest based on the other symptoms as well.What happens next:Just Answer will now charge you for the full amount of your question.My goal is to provide you with 5-star service. If you cannot rate me at least 3-5 stars, we will keep working on this.Just Answer does not compensate me for my time and effort; you do with a 3-5 star rating.Follow up questions are included in your question price even after rating.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
At this point you haven't helped me. Two weeks ago, the worked fine. After coming home and first try, it doesn't. Work. Why?
Expert:  Mike V. replied 2 years ago.
Sorry I cannot answer that question without testing the car and finding the answer. My crystal ball has the day off. I will open this up for the other experts. Please don't rate me as one of the others who may be able to help will deserve a good rating.Sorry I can't help you out.