Hyundai

Hyundai repair questions? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Hyundai Elantra GLS: I have a 2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS and…

Customer Question
I have a 2006 Hyundai...
I have a 2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS and the hatchback will not open when the doors are unlocked. I have had this problem previously but it went away.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Hyundai
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/27/2015
Hyundai Mechanic: George H., Hyundai Technician replied 3 years ago
George H.
George H., Hyundai Technician
Hello I will help you with your question,
The latch works fine with the inside release?
Does it work every time if you press and hold the button?
Are the buttons worn or cracked?
There is no inside release. Nothing is worn or cracked.
There is a actuator that works with the lock release on the door. Does it work every time with that or do you not know?
All the locks work together from the inside release switch.
Let me know
Thanks
You can hear the lock release every time, but it won't open.
Seems like the actuator is working fine.
OK, and it is the same when you use the keyfob?
Yes
OK, that means the actuator is making noise but it is weak and not actually moving the latch.
If it releases with the key OK then replacing the lock actuator will get it opening every time now.
If the vehicle has body damage it may just need to have the latch realigned but if no damaged then you need to replace the actuator.
Please let me know how I ca help you with this
Thank you
The key does not release it and there is no body damage.
So you just have trouble opening the hatch period?
Watch where the latch closes on the solid bar and see if they line up. If they don't you can use a hammer to bump the bar over a little. Not much force is required to move its position.
Also you want to lube the lath with spray white grease. All autopart stores should have it. the can has a straw that allows you to direct the grease up inside the latch.
Work it a few times after that to work the grease in and adjust the lock bar then see if it works better.
If you have trouble with the key it is in the latch not the actuator.
Let me know how I can help
Thank you
I will try that if I can get it to release. Does this car have an emergency release inside the trunk?
By trunk you mean the rear area? No there is no release handle on the hatchback.
Please let me know how I can help you with your questions
Thank you
Yeah, the back door so to speak.
OK, that 5th door does not have an inside release without removing the trim and using a screwdriver so you need to get this checked out sooner rather than later.
Let me know how I can help
Thank you
Ok, thank you.
Great, please let me know if you have further questions
Thank you