Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

Hyundai elantra: Have a 1999 Hyundai elantra that cranks but

Customer Question
Have a 1999 Hyundai elantra...
Have a 1999 Hyundai elantra that cranks but will not start. Check engine light is on but scanner either won't connect, won't auto id the car or can't find any codes if I manually set t ype of car. In past I just connected scanner and tirned key on and it gave me code(s)
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Hyundai
5/17/2015
Hyundai Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If it won't start and a code reader or scan tool will not communicate with the engine controller then most likely the controller isn't awake. If it isn't awake then you'll have no spark, injector pulse, and the fuel pump wont run.
If you find all of these to be true and all fuses are good then you'll want to test the ECM powers and grounds. If the powers and grounds are present but it won't wake up then it can be condemned.
sprinkles08
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician