sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

Hyundai elantra: Have a 1999 Hyundai elantra that cranks but

Customer Question

Have a 1999 Hyundai elantra that cranks but will not start. Check engine light is on but scanner either won't connect, won't auto id the car or can't find any codes if I manually set t ype of car. In past I just connected scanner and tirned key on and it gave me code(s)
Category: Hyundai
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
If it won't start and a code reader or scan tool will not communicate with the engine controller then most likely the controller isn't awake. If it isn't awake then you'll have no spark, injector pulse, and the fuel pump wont run.
If you find all of these to be true and all fuses are good then you'll want to test the ECM powers and grounds. If the powers and grounds are present but it won't wake up then it can be condemned.