Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

Hyundai Tiburon: I recently changed my alternator and starter,

I recently changed my alternator...
I recently changed my alternator and starter, but I'm having issues keeping a charge on my battery. The battery is 2 years old, and I just had it recharged last week. I went to full up the tank tonight, and when I tried to start the car the lights went dim and I could hear the clicking of the starter trying to engage. I was able to pop the hood and take a look at the alternator and saw that the ground wire insulation was a bit wrinkled. My car is a 2003 Hyundai Tiburon. I the only code I know of is the VSS (loose, unpluged connection).
7/2/2013
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician
My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.

If the battery was found dead and you have to re charge it or jump start the vehicle to get the vehicle to start after it has been shut off this may indicate a faulty battery.Even though it was replaced 2 years ago I have seen newer batteries fail like this here and since you have recently replaced the alternator most likely the alternator itself is o.k.

I would check and make sure the cables that attach to the alternator and the battery are clean and tight.If any are found loose or corroded this can cause this issue here.If the cables are found to be o.k. I would have the battery tested to see if it is found to be faulty.A local parts store usually will test this battery free of charge and let you know if it is found to be faulty.

If this has already been done let me know and we can continue if needed.

Thanks Pete
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician

Thank you. I was able to find the issue. As it turns out, the ground wire connected to the alternator was loose and was not supplying a sufficient charge to the battery. I tightened the bolt down, jumped the car, and tested it with a multimeter. It's steadily increasing in voltage, and on its way back up to 14 volts while running (currently 13.89).

Thats great to hear.Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help above when your ready.

Thanks Pete

I am following up with you to see if you still needed help with your question you had asked.If my help didn't satisfy your question please let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete
peterpete190
peterpete190
peterpete190, Auto Technician