Hyundai

Hyundai Repair Questions? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Hyundai

Hyundai Santa Fe: I cant remove the bottom bolt of my 2003

I can't remove the bottom...
I can't remove the bottom bolt of my 2003 santé fe alternator because it is hitting something,pls tell me their isn't a bracket there going to the rack and pinion!
6/16/2013
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
Hello, I would be glad to help you with this. Remove the top bolt and the bracket. Then remove the bottom bolt as much as you cam until it hits the bracket. Then what you will need to do is rock the alternator back and forth while pulling up. It will come out this way because the bottom bolt is in a "U" type bracket. When you get it out you'll see what I mean.

I have removed the top bolt and pushed the lower bolt back ,what bracket are you asking me to remove?

The one the top bolt was hooked to. See picture below.
graphic

my lower bolt is mounted backwards with the nut outside and the bolt moves back until it hits a solid bracket

Ok either the factory or someone prior did it improperly. My suggestion would be to either attempt to remove the bracket or to use a dremel tool with cut off wheel or hack saw to cut the bolt, push more of it out and keep cutting until it comes out. Then install a new bolt the proper direction. Just save the pieces so the parts store can match up the correct length and thread pitch bolt.
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins
K. Wiggins, ASE Certified Technician