Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master Tech, L1 diagnostics, 32 years. Electrical expert
13677702

HYUNDAI ELANTRA: Where is the purge valve located on my 2007

Where is the purge valve located on my 2007 Elantra. I have a "check engine" light and getting a "purge valve open" code. I changed the gas cap (easiest and cheap), but no chanage. Any help would be appreciated!
Hello, I am Randall. I will do my best to help answer your question

do you have the actual trouble code #
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I believe it was P0441, "Evaporative emissioncontrol system, purge valve stuck open".
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX
Ok when it come to emission codes like this, it can be a bit tricky at times to diagnose, as a scanner and further testing is needed.

GENERAL DESCRIPTION
The evaporative emission control system prevents hydrocarbon (HC) vapors from the fuel tank from escaping into the atmosphere where they could form photochemical smog. Gasoline vapors are collected in the charcoal canister. The ECM controls the Purge Control Solenoid Valve (PCSV) to purge any collected vapors from the canister back to the engine for combustion. This valve is actuated by the purge control signal from the ECM and controls fuel vapor from the canister to the intake manifold.

There are several components in the evap system where the canister and the prrure valves etc are located on top of the gas tank and requires the tank to be removed
In regards XXXXX XXXXX code you have/? It is impossible for me to say if this is the problem but,, is likely. You need to be sure the hoses to the valve are good prior to changing it
It is item #1 shown in the first picture, on the engine
and the second picture is a closeup of the purge valve

graphic

graphic

I hope this helps. please remember to rate my service before exiting the site so I can be credited for my time.

When you are satisfied with the information I’ve provided, I would appreciate your positive rating. I truly value your feedback.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Thanks Randall. I can't wait to get under the hood and find this thing. The HAYNES manual I have gives sporadic info between model years... I'm not impressed.

I appreciate your expertise and assistance. I'll try to get back on here to let you know the outcome.

-Ward

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Hey Randall, I have looked for the purge valve as per the drawings you provided... but I can't seem to find it!! Do I need to disassemble/remove some items to be able to see/find it? Can I replace it by accessing it from the top of the engine, or do I need to jack the Elantra up and attack it from the bottom? I'm planning on digging in to the remove/replace function this afternoon, so a quick reply would be appreciated! Thanks!
-Ward
Its hard describing not being there, This help

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thanks Randall. I didn't get a chance to get at it last weekend like I planned. But, is there a part number you can provide so I can see if Advanced Auto or Autozone has one? Also, can I remove this and still run the car? You know, to take it to the auto store and do a one-on-one visual to see if it's the right part?
Do you think I'll have to go through a dealer? Thanks again!
Pretty sure you can remove and run car, It controls emisiions only. I do not have part # access. i doubt available aftermarket
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So I get to go to the dealer for this? oh joy!
unsure, I am sorry, I am not in parts, you can only check local parts stores to see if they have a purge valve listing. They may, I honestly do not know